MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Any way to disallow post deletion if replies?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So right now the user can delete their own posts, which makes sense, but if a user posts a topic and someone has replied to it I would prefer they not be allowed to delete the topic.  Is this an option anywhere?

To be clear - they create a topic and no one has replied: okay to delete
Someone replies - topic can now not be deleted (I'd even prefer them not to be able to edit the original post then, but that's probably asking for too much. Unless there's some sort of time window I can set for edits).
Go to Your ACP
Settings > Posts > Enable Soft Delete For Users > Set ot to "No"

Or

Change the permission of the forums that user's will not be able to delete their own posts anymore.
But will they still be allowed to delete posts if no one has replied? I want them to be able to delete orphan topics, just not if anyone has replied to them.
It will require a plugin to restrict it to only threads without replies. I might be able to whip one up later if I have time.
(2021-09-18, 03:15 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]It will require a plugin to restrict it to only threads without replies. I might be able to whip one up later if I have time.

I think that would be great.

On our forum we want folks NOT to be censored in any way, but there are times (and I've done it myself) that a topic is created in error.  On my old forums there used to be a time limit you could set so that after, say, an hour you could no longer delete OR edit your posts.  I think that was tremendous but obviously you don't have that here.  But something that kept people from deleting an active topic would be the next best thing.

I'm sure you've noticed (on other boards, not a tech support board like this one) that folks can change a previous post so that a later one doesn't make sense.  If you "quote" the post (as I did here) it's less obnoxious, but there's nothing worse than someone "changing history" from a topic that then is hard to follow.  Now - the editing is still here but, again, I'd hate to close that down because people do make mistakes (although the time limit thing is still a spectacular idea - I was really surprised this forum software didn't have the feature that a 20 year old forum did).
(2021-09-18, 06:40 PM)Kelleytoons Wrote: [ -> ]On my old forums there used to be a time limit you could set so that after, say, an hour you could no longer delete OR edit your posts.  I think that was tremendous but obviously you don't have that here.

There's a plugin for limiting the time a post can be deleted. It's older but still working.
A time limit for editing posts can be set by default in MyBB.
Time limit for editing posts? I didn't see that anywhere, but I'll go look again.

And thanks for the other link. If that plugin works that would be great.

No still didn't find a time limit for editing posts, but I'm most likely looking in the wrong place (I'm looking at Board settings-Posting, but it's not there).
It's a per-usergroup limit. If you head to ACP > Users & Usergroups > pick a usergroup, then go to the Forums and Posts sub-tab, Edit Time Limit is at the bottom.
Thanks! That solves *most* of the issue. Too bad there's not a time limit on deleting posts as well, or I'd be home free, but if that plugin does that I think I'm set.
In AdminCP / Users and Groups, edit a user group and go to Forums and Posts. At the bottom are two distinct options.
My guys can delete their posts but not their threads.

[attachment=44400]

Time limit to edit posts is built in at AdminCP / Configuration / Posts. Towards the bottom is a time limit. Which does not apply if usergroup permissions are not enabled. I give my guys 24 hours, and an edited by flag is shown.

[attachment=44401]
[attachment=44402]

And I use the Courtesy Edit Time plugin (thanks Matt) to allow 5 minutes for editing without a flag. Usually fixing typos.
https://github.com/MattRogowski/Courtesy-Edit-Time

[attachment=44403]

And, to add, deletion is soft, not permanent. This allows admin or mod to review what was deleted if there's a dispute.

I'll take that back. The 1440 minute edit limit in Settings / Posts is apparently overridden by the setting at the bottom of Users and Groups / Forums and Posts.
Pages: 1 2