MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Spambots suddenly getting past security questions fairly easily
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've changed my security questions around recently but in the past few days, I've been getting a big increase in spambot registration.

How random do i really have to make these questions ?

I've tried things like "Type the word 'green'" or "What is water? (Answer: wet)" which did seem to work but recently it doesn't seem to make a difference.
Are you also using a captcha of some sort? More abstract questions may be required, these wouldn’t be challenging to program a bot to answer.
Bots haven't got past "what is the name of this forum?"
Yet. Although I don't use search engine optimizations and robots.txt deny spiders.
Thanks for the replies. I'll have to think of a few more "out there" questions, but I do like the "what is the name of this forum" question though.

I don't use captcha at the moment, but I'll certainly give it a try if more questions don't work.

If I do think of something quite "out there" is it worth putting the answer in the question or is that also something spambots can work out?
I think a CAPTCHA will be significantly more effective. The problem is that if someone is coding a bot, if they see there's very limited questions being asked, they can just code in the answers.
Well interestingly, I've just checked the stats and the "What is the name of this forum" question has been shown 68 times since yesterday with 38 wrong answers and not a single correct one Smile