MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Sorry, your username, email or IP matches that of a known spammer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I tried to register this user myself, as she gets the above message and *I* get the same message.

My IP isn't a problem (because I can register other users from it).  Her username is "Ingrid" but her email address certainly doesn't look like a spam email (it IS gmail.com, but she says she uses it everywhere without difficulties).  How can we get her registered?
Assume you have Stop Forum Spam in Board Settings enabled?  Might have to tweak the settings a bit.  I find common names can be a problem, but depends on the sensitivity which is dialled in with "Minimum stop forum spam weighting".

For example you can turn off "Check usernames", but you'll have to experiment to find the settings which work best for your situation.  Out of curiosity, I searched the stop forum spam site for "Ingrid" and got 26 exact matches:

https://www.stopforumspam.com/search

Edit: I use that search tool all the time to check what's happening with stop forum spam.  A great tool - but you need to put in some time with it. Smile
Her email address doesn't match on the spam site - Ingrid IS her name, and I don't know why we wouldn't allow it but I'll turn off Check Usernames (which is pretty silly anyway).
Depends on how members use names on your forum.  Spammers like common names too - lol.