MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Develop Android application that interacts with the forum database?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi

I have a project that I would like to carry out, and to carry it out, I need to develop an Android application that interacts with the MyBB forum database.

I have been asking, and some say that I will need to create an API. Others tell me that I only have to configure the application so that it can read the data from the database that I have configured the forum.

What do I need to do so that the application I have to develop interacts with the forum database?
Both approach are possible.
In case of creating an API, you will need to have an extra MyBB plugin that will have create endpoints for MyBB which you can use in your android application.
In case of configuring database, you need to use DB credentials at android application and use it to get data.

The first approach is better but more costly as you need extra plugin.
Second approach is easier but less secure. It can be used to do a proof of concept but for production, API approach is better.

Regards
WallBB
(2021-10-20, 03:01 AM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]Both approach are possible.
In case of creating an API, you will need to have an extra MyBB plugin that will have create endpoints for MyBB which you can use in your android application.
In case of configuring database, you need to use DB credentials at android application and use it to get data.

Second approach is easier but less secure. It can be used to do a proof of concept but for production, API approach is better.

Regards
WallBB

Thanks WallBB,

Yes, the truth is that I read your email message explaining also about the database, and since it is also something that I knew could be a possibility but that other users had told me that I would have to create an API, in the end I felt confused and decided to create the post to solve the doubts.

With your answer, this time, I have understood well Smile. It's what I needed to know, thank you very much!

Thank you for responding and for collaborating also in the growth of the forum.

Greetings.
(2021-10-20, 03:01 AM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]Both approach are possible.

Regards
WallBB

so, From API approach application will b able to read data from the database of the site i wanted?