MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: what is the function of ?ver=1821 after the file name?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi MyBB Community
hope you are doing well,

do u know where I can find /jscripts/sceditor/styles/jquery.sceditor.mybb.css?ver=1821 
I'm trying to edit the color of the font in the text editor cuz I have changed the background..
I only found /jscripts/sceditor/styles/jquery.sceditor.mybb.css and tbh idk what is the function of ?ver=1821 after the file name

I prefer understanding it First 

thanks for reading,
have a nice day.
the ?ver=1821 is added in template (headerinclude) to force navigators (and proxy cache) to load the server version of the .css file when you change its version.
i got it, now how i can change a CSS class in it?

let's say I changed this class from 

Quote:html, body, p, code:before, table {
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;
font-size: 14px;
color: #333;
}
to 

Quote:html, body, p, code:before, table {
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;
font-size: 14px;
color: #aaa9a9;
}

here:
example.com/jscripts/sceditor/styles/jquery.sceditor.mybb.css

nothing will change here:
example.com/jscripts/sceditor/styles/jquery.sceditor.mybb.css?ver=1821

what is the solution for that?
change the 1821 to 1821a (it's just an example)

And think to clear your browser cache
While developing, there is no need to add parameters to force a browser refresh.
You can also do a hard refresh by pressing STRG+F5. This will force the browser to reload all files incl. css files.

The ?parameter is usually used to explicitely force a visitor of your website to reload files from the server again, mostly done when a new file version is mandatory for website functionality.

So when a development is done and a new file version is in place, the parameter can be added for public.

[ExiTuS]
Pretty right. If you're using CF (or any CDN), or if your server does some caching, simple Ctrl+F5 won't work as the cache is somewhere else