MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is myBB internally banning certain symbols?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I have a myBB forum running the latest myBB build (just updated today, to be sure).

I am trying to post a code snippet on my forum and the post simply will not go through. If the post is a new reply containing the code snippet, the spinner 'wait' wheel will spin forever after clicking post (ie, it never posts). If I add the code snippet to an edit of an existing post, the edit will not update. I can click the post button after editing, and the edit will appear to complete, but the change will not go through and the post will not contain the new edit.

However, if I edit the mysql entry for the post and add the code snippet, it updates just fine...so it's not like the symbols are a forum-breaking thing.

The snippet isn't some crazy sql-injection syntax either...it's literally anything containing two equals signs in a row ('==').

Is myBB doing some under-the-hood symbol checking/banning that is causing this issue? If so, how do I disable that on my site? The snippet posts fine here, so why not my site?

Example snippet that posts fine on my site:

if (i = 1)
{
    //do work
}

Example snippet that refuses to post on my site:

if (i == 1) //double ='s
{
    //do work
}
I don't think it's MyBB, but could be your host, usually something like mod_security (or Cloudflare maybe if you're using that).

Are you using quick reply? If you are, right click and open the browser developer tools/inspect element panel, go to the Console tab, and see if there's an error message when posting. Or, just use the full reply page and the whole page should error if there's a problem.
Oh wow...that was it (was getting an error 418 in the debug console after posting). Disabling mod_security in my dreamhost settings fixed the issue. Not sure whether that's a really good solution, but at least the issue was identified. Thanks!
You can ask them if there was a certain rule it was triggering. I don’t know too much about how it works but I think it can be configured with different rules, and some are maybe a bit over zealous and blocks legitimate requests.