MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Allowing thread notifications after first reply
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is anyone aware of a way, either via plugin, code changes, etc, to turn off myBB's throttle on notifications for subscribed threads? AKA, this thing:

Quote:There will only be one notification per thread even though there may have been more than one reply after you "left" the forum. Once you visit the forum again, you will be able to receive notifications for that thread again. This "one-notification-per-thread-until-next-visit" concept is to prevent excessive spam, and conserve server resources.

I understand the intent, but this feature is causing constant issues. Details:
  • Example issue: Notifications sometimes don't "pop" and get sent until you happen visit the board, even if it's the direct, next reply to my last post in the thread.
  • Email is using SMTP - I have spent a considerable amount of time troubleshooting with my host at various points to make sure everything is working properly on their end.
  • Emails are not going to spam; they aren't getting sent. I also have checked the admin email on a spamminess analyzer and confirmed that's not the issue.
  • My members have all whitelisted the domains/admin emails and also added the admin email as a contact for good measure.

I run small, private roleplaying games, which depend on timely notification of replies. My sites are too small for this to be a drag on the server or be considered spam. Typically it's just one person getting a notification at a time.

I've been looking for answers to this issue for many months now, including poring through the threads here. It's to the point where I am looking at migrating to another platform, which I really, really don't want to do. Otherwise, I'm super happy with myBB. I don't want to leave!

Anybody know of a solution or a new direction I can look in? This is my last ditch attempt to find a way around this.

Thanks in advance.
The limit on one email until you read the thread would probably require a core file edit to change. It’s set that way do you don’t get flooded with emails for every reply.

Your issue sounds like general email deliverability. If they’re not being sent then that does suggest an SMTP issue. Can we have a URL so we can test the issue?
(2022-01-18, 10:30 AM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]The limit on one email until you read the thread would probably require a core file edit to change. It’s set that way do you don’t get flooded with emails for every reply.

Your issue sounds like general email deliverability. If they’re not being sent then that does suggest an SMTP issue. Can we have a URL so we can test the issue?

Hi Matt, thank you for the quick reply! (Wow, it's Matt!)

The site is gauntletrp.com -- If I'm understanding correctly, you're wanting to register an account to test the notifications? I have created a testing forum: http://gauntletrp.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31

All new accounts require an invitation code - I dropped 3 in a sticky post in that forum. Guests and Registered groups should both be able to see/post in that forum, but I've got so many things configured with a view toward privacy, please let me know if something doesn't work right.

In case you need it: I'm on SMTP with SSL encryption, port 465 per my host (Dreamhost), who confirmed all the info for me last night, and also confirmed that no mail has been throwing errors or bouncing. I have logging set to "log everything" and message ID in headers set to No. The email address that sends the notifications is [email protected].

Thank you again for your help!

ETA: Oh, and the register link is via the slide out menu accessible top right.