MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Cannot modify header information - another time
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I searched the forums and found this error a few times, but none of the explanations on fixing it applied to my situation.  I reviewed the files in question and there were no leading spaces or anything.

I am merging from PHPBB 3.0.14 to MYBB 1829 using Merge 1823.  All the steps were successful up until the very last where attachments are ported over.  I have nearly 1200 attachments and did them in batches of 20.  A couple of times I what appears to be an error pop up and then the port process proceeds to the next batch of 20.

When the process completed, I was presented this screen
[attachment=44837]

As I said, I checked all the files mentioned in the 'dump' and did not find anything out of the ordinary.

When I try to browse to the myBB, I get a 500 Internal Server Error message
The PHP warning has been fixed in our development repository and it really won't affect the merge process.

So, if I may, I understand that your problems would be:
1. some attachments and/or attachment files were not successfully converted.
2. when tried to access your converted forum, it gave you an HTTP 500 error.

For the 1st one, though I'm not sure if you're actually having this issue. If you do have, could you please elaborate a bit more?

For the 2nd one, an HTTP 500, which is a generic error, could be caused by many things. If you're familiar with PHP, you may override MyBB's default error handling to show all PHP errors. Or you will need to find the real culprit that caused problems from HTTP server logs.
(2022-01-19, 06:25 PM)noyle Wrote: [ -> ]The PHP warning has been fixed in our development repository and it really won't affect the merge process.

So, if I may, I understand that your problems would be:
1. some attachments and/or attachment files were not successfully converted.
2. when tried to access your converted forum, it gave you an HTTP 500 error.

For the 1st one, though I'm not sure if you're actually having this issue. If you do have, could you please elaborate a bit more?

For the 2nd one, an HTTP 500, which is a generic error, could be caused by many things. If you're familiar with PHP, you may override MyBB's default error handling to show all PHP errors. Or you will need to find the real culprit that caused problems from HTTP server logs.

I actually do not know if some of the attachments did not convert.  I suppose the only way to do that is compare the two '/files/' directories and it would give me a count, but I would have no way of knowing which were the culprit.  All I know is that the merge process worked great until the very last step, which was to convert the attachments.

Exactly WHERE are the attachments stored in MyBB.   In phpBB they are stored in the /files/ folder, but I can find no such place where they might have been converted to.  Unless MyBB uses the default phpBB location.  There is no /files/ in the 'Upload' folder for the MyBB install.

The MyBB install worked fine and as expected before I ran the MERGE tool.  So the 500 Internal Error came from running that command somehow.

I've attached my PHP logs.  I have no idea what a suexec log is, nor can I find one on my server or in the FAQs
[attachment=44838]
Then you will check suexec log for details.
(2022-01-19, 07:48 PM)noyle Wrote: [ -> ]Then you will check suexec log for details.

could this sort of problem be caused by the lack of a closing PHP statement   "?>" is missing on the files mentioned in the logs
What does the log say?
(2022-01-19, 09:37 PM)noyle Wrote: [ -> ]What does the log say?

I have no idea.  I cant find it on my hosts server.  I started a tech chat with customer support and became angry when after 8 times of asking for the log, and 7 BS canned replies I was finally told "we dont save that type of log!"

I will try again today and see if i can get a better CSR on the phone.

The tech did tell me it was a folder permission thing - i have little confidence that was the actual problem. He said the folder was 777 and should have been 755
Depends which folder they were referring to - 777 means world writable so if you web root was set to that they might block access to it. There should definitely be some sort of logging for 500 errors though. Unfortunately it's a very generic error that just means "something went wrong" so without logs to tell you what it actually was, you'd be left to trial and error.