MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Seeking recommendations for upgrade path
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi folks...  I am seeking to bring my forum up from 1.8.12, to the newest version.  I have quite a few plugins loaded, and I am concerned about things breaking.

What is the best method to safely upgrade?  Does it make more sense to upgrade a few versions at a time (maybe .12 to .18, to .25 and then .29), testing each time - or does it make more sense just to make the plunge straight to the newest version, .29?

Thanks!
There won't be any benefit to doing smaller increments, and as long as you back up your files and database before you start you'll be fine if anything goes wrong. You will likely need to revert several templates to default or apply changes manually, disabling plugins first helps with this as template modifications get undone before the upgrade.

The other main issues you may come across is the attachments uploading being changed to the drag and drop interface which may need updating in your theme, and an issue with posts being empty due to malformed MyCode, but these issues are documented and fixes are straightforward.

It may be worth creating a test copy of the forum and upgrading that first, to get a feel for what issues will crop up if any.
Great, thank you for the information.