MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: how to make sure my backup is valid?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
i want to know that the database backup that i'm doing with the mybb control panel has really backed up correctly.
how can i open the .gz file to verify it?

thanks
You would normally already have software on your machine to open it, but manually reading through a .sql file won't tell you much unless you know what you're looking for. The best way to test a backup works is to set up a new install with a new database, and import the backup to that database, then make sure the forum has all the content.
i see
thank you for explaining it
hi
just created an installation of the site (another one).
i want to check the backup files from the main forums but i don't know how to restore.
i've tried to do a little search that led to something that isn't relevant to my inquiry.

what are the simple steps to restore a backup?

thanks!
me,
You may use phpMyAdmin to import MySQL dumps to MySQL / MariaDB databases. If you use other database management systems, use corresponding companion software to do the import. Use key words "import .sql file" to start a search.
i will try later Smile
i hope to succeeed
thanks

hi
sorry but i'm not sure how to restore.

do i just need to press 'import' and import the exported file?
Yes, but make sure you're importing it to a new clean database, not your existing live one. It will import the data from the file into whichever database you select.
i did just that, but nothing got imported after the message of successful import.
i've opened the site and there was nothing imported.....
i don't know why..
hi
i still couldn't verify my backup.

i'm using hoststinger as a web host and really want to be able to verify my backup.....

the problem is that nothing got imported to the clone of the website.
i've deleted the clone and don't have a problem to re create it with the automatic installer.

can you maybe help?
It sounds like either you're not exporting it properly or not importing it properly. Where did you export from? MyBB or phpMyAdmin?
Pages: 1 2 3