MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: disable quoting other useres on forums
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
is it easy to only allow users to post and reply without quoting?

quoting make more database load so i wonder
What database load are you under the impression it creates? It will store slightly more data but that’s not a problem. If that’s your only concern with it there’s no need to worry.
let me get this right.
you are saying that a quote is not doubling the size of posts?
is it some how knows not to save thee quoted message again? [i hope i'm clear and understood]

anyway there was something else that went in my mind but when i will arrive to the bridge i will let you know about this.....
It will store the post content twice, yes, but that’s not putting “load” on the database. Databases can be 10GB+ with no issues, and several MyBB forums have tens of millions of posts. It’s not something you need to worry about. It is pointless to remove the quoting feature as it will lead to absolutely no benefit.
Our posts table is 464.5 MB, with 331,595 posts - as reported in phpMyAdmin.    A quick search tells me we have 78,068 quotes.  High number I guess - no doubt many caused by folks using the "reply" post action button.  Personally, I'd rather see members use the New Reply thread button to avoid unnecessary quoting.  But that's really an appearance thing.  I explain the difference in a Forum Guide - but what can you do - lol.  Getting rid of quotes not the answer IMO.

We've been running 1.8.x since 2015 or so, so wouldn't worry too much. Wink

Thanks Matt for the clear explanation.
interesting