MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can't add new Forums or Categories
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys - Just installed MyBB (1.8.30) and everything went well until I went to Forums & Posts in the ACP and I think this is where I screwed up.  I deleted the existing install forum, the idea being to start from scratch.
So now under Manage Forums it displays "there are no forums found"

When I now select "Add new Forum", select the type as "Forum", and then hit the "Save Forum" button I get the error message telling me it has to have a parent forum, which needless to say, I don't have.

So when I now try to create it as type "Category" and hit the "Save Forum" button I get a MyBB SQL error box that pops up. No error code it just says "MyBB has experienced an internal SQL error and cannot continue."

I have tried the following, without success:

Recounted and rebuilt forum counters
Rebuilt cache (forums)
Optimized database tables

Will appreciate any help that I can get as I spent ages on the page header to get it to what I wanted, installed styles, add-ons and tweaking the magnitude of settings available, and as I said there were no problems during this whole process until I got to Forums & Posts..............
Activate the error loging (https://community.mybb.com/thread-233457.html) to have a more explicit message
Thanks CrazyCat, this is what I then get:

SQL Error:
1364 - Field 'myforumicons_icon' doesn't have a default value
Query:
INSERT INTO mybbcp_forums (name,description,linkto,type,pid,parentlist,disporder,active,open,allowhtml,allowmycode,allowsmilies,allowimgcode,allowvideocode,allowpicons,allowtratings,usepostcounts,usethreadcounts,requireprefix,password,showinjump,style,overridestyle,rulestype,rulestitle,rules,defaultdatecut,defaultsortby,defaultsortorder) VALUES ('Test','','','c',0,'',1,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,0,'',1,0,0,0,'','',0,'','')

I am using the default MyBB style
Ok, you probably add a "forumicon" plugin which creates a non compatible column.

You can correct that using phpMyAdmin (or the interface you use to access to your MySQL) and execute the following query: ALTER TABLE mybbcp_forums ALTER COLUMN myforumicons_icon SET DEFAULT ''(ifmyforumicons_icon` is of type text/varchar)
Okay, I got the culprit - it was the plugin MyForumicons which added a custom field in the Category/Forum creation screen and it appears to be a case of it being a compulsory field.

I deactivated and uninstalled the plugin and now I can create the new Category.

Thanks for the guidance.