MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Cookie problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have just installed yet another forum Shy and went to edit the cookie settings because I showed as a guest on the main forum. It doesn't matter what I put in, I get "Internet Explorer cannot read this webpage format" and in firefox "Not Acceptable
An appropriate representation of the requested resource /forum/admin/settings.php could not be found on this server."

I have tried many combinations and all get that error.

I can edit other things in Board settings just fine. I signed up in another name and that appears to log me in and then it is back to guest.

Can anyone help me figure this out please?
I generally find that the default settings should always work unless you need some fine tuning.

Try clearing all your cookies and test again with the default cookie settings.
Also, give the forum's URL.

BTW, if you didn't know, the AdminCP is separate from the main board - that is, if you are logged into the AdminCP, you aren't necessarily logged into your main forum.

Hope that helps!
Given the firefox error message, I am thinking that there is something amiss with admin/settings.php. The cookies I have been setting are correct as per the all the documentation, but I made a booboo on install (but I did that with my last forum too. That didn't stop me editing it later just fine), so I just want to fix it so I am logged in on index.php
If you suspect the (inc/ ?) settings.php, make sure it's writable (chmod to 777) and try changing the settings again through AdminCP -> General Configuration, then clear your cookies and see if that works.
I'm guessing the error message is because there's invalid content in the set-cookie header being sent to you.
Grrrrrr I hate clearing cookies Sad I had to login here!

None of that worked. inc/settings.php was still set at 777 from the setup, tried 666, tried changing admin/settings.php to 666 and 777........nothing!
Can you upload admin/settings.php in ASCII mode from your FTP?
Okay, tried that and it gives me a 404 error now. I switched it back to auto and it is still broke. I think maybe the best thing is to start from scratch and run install again. I'll download a fresh .zip now.
Don't start from scratch. That is always the worst course of action a user could take. There is a 99% chance that we can fix this without reinstalling and loosing data. However can you download a fresh zip and reupload inc/settings.php again in ASCII mode. If you still get a 404 error thats telling me it's something wrong with the host
inc/settings.php or admin/settings.php?
admin/settings.php
Pages: 1 2