MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Display Emojis on Thread Titles and Forum/Category names ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi eveyone !

Is there any chance that MyBB will display emojis the same way wordpress does it ?
Like you copy and paste them from Telegram Desktop or whatever and insert them.
It seems that those emojis are very very limited for MyBB.

I hope the image below explains my maybe confusing words.

[attachment=45250]

Why do I need that ?
I would love to organize the threads and forums even better, and therefor it is insufficient to just add a
bunch of smileys in the backend that are only available for the text of a thread.

Open for all ideas, have a great day/night everyone.

silenzioso
By default emojis will display different based on device, you would need a plugin to convert them to standardised images across all devices (I believe WordPress has a javascript library it uses for emojis).
(2022-06-30, 12:54 AM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]By default emojis will display different based on device, you would need a plugin to convert them to standardised images across all devices (I believe WordPress has a javascript library it uses for emojis).

mmm... what do you mean by device ?

and do you know any plugin that I could use to do that ?

thanks a lot.
As in the device you're using. Emojis look different on different operating systems, so usually sites that want to standardise them use some code to change the unicode characters to images so they look the same for everyone.
(2022-06-30, 01:24 AM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]As in the device you're using. Emojis look different on different operating systems, so usually sites that want to standardise them use some code to change the unicode characters to images so they look the same for everyone.

I'm really not sure what you are trying to tell me here - nor if it is the root of this problem.

I mean it's pretty obvious that many devices will have different looks for those emojis - but I am talking about not showing them on any device.

Pinterest seems to have the same issues, and funny, cause they show 1:1 the same emojis as MyBB. Going further ends in a ? instead of an emoji.

[attachment=45251]

Is there any way to increase the number of emojis that can be displayed ?

thanks
I'm not really sure I understand the problem you're raising then - there's no limit anywhere on how many emojis are displayed anywhere. A platform not having "full support" for all emojis will only be if they're replacing them with other images, otherwise emojis render in the browser and have nothing to do with the platform you're posting them on. For example, XenForo replaces emojis with standardised images so they're the same for everyone, but they only do that for limited emojis, and if you use one they don't convert, it'll be based on browser support. So if emojis are used that are not being converted by the platform, and your browser doesn't support them, they won't show, which is what I said originally. MyBB doesn't do any emoji replacement, so it'll just be based on what your browser does and doesn't support.

🫥 - this is one of the newer emojis, which displays fine for me. So if someone uses an emoji that either your device doesn't support or the platform doesn't handle to turn into an image, then it won't show, but MyBB doesn't do any emoji replacement, so it'll just show whatever your browser supports. If you want to support every emoji across every device, you would need a plugin or script to convert them to standardised images as I said originally.