MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Test Plugins before applyig on Official Forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, is there any way to test plugins on an "unofficial" or "offline" mode forum before applying them on the Live forum? I would like to do this just in case to prevent plugins crashing with other plugins or some errors popping up. Also, I would like to see how the plugin looks like or takes effect first before deciding to officially use it on the live forum. Is there a plugin that allows this or is there a way to do it via ACP or host provider(subdomain)?

Thanks Smile
Yes, you would just need to install another forum and you can test whatever you like there. You can either set up a subdomain, or just create a subfolder and put another copy of MyBB in there. So you could have it at test.domain.com, or domain.com/test. You would need to create a new database, or use the same database but choose a different table prefix when installing - a new database is probably safer. Then you'd have an independent installation and you can test whatever you want there.
(2022-07-30, 01:52 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, you would just need to install another forum and you can test whatever you like there. You can either set up a subdomain, or just create a subfolder and put another copy of MyBB in there. So you could have it at test.domain.com, or domain.com/test. You would need to create a new database, or use the same database but choose a different table prefix when installing - a new database is probably safer. Then you'd have an independent installation and you can test whatever you want there.

Thank you. I did just that - I created both a subdomain and a new database. I copied the live boards files in cPanel to the new subdomain and then I also copied all the tables in phpMyadmin to the newly created database.

It worked.... so, test.domain.net works and I can create new threads and test stuff.

However! When I access the ACP on this test site, it takes me to the live boards ACP and not the test sites ACP - same with User CP. Do you know what is causing this? Also, it seems that test.domain.net is public and anyone can access it despite it being a test site on a subdomain. Is there any way to make it so that only I can access it?

Thanks! Smile

EDIT:

A bit silly: I realized that when I click on ACP on the test site, it takes me to the live forums ACP. After that, if I manually change the URL to "test.domain.net/admin/index.php" it actually changes back to the test sites ACP. That's because the ACP button on the site(regardless if live or test) always defaults to the live URL and not the test site. Seems to be all good for now!

Question Though: Both the databases(live and test) have the same table prefix. Does this matter/will it create problems?

What I will be doing is:

Testing plugin on test forum. If it works ---> Apply it on Live Forum. Then copy the entire Live forum's files & database and paste/update it on the test forum's one. That way my test forum will always be an identical copy of a working Live forum.

Repeat the same when I want to make another change or add another plugin.

Is this wrong or is there a better way to do this?
You would need to change the Board URL setting to be that of the new domain for the links to work properly.

It doesn't matter if they have the same table prefix if they're in different databases, they're totally separate. Be sure that the inc/config.php file on the new site is actually configured to use the new database though.

test.domain.com wouldn't become private by itself just because it's called test - you would need to set up directory protection in cPanel if you want to protect it.
Thanks!

Yes, I have made sure that both Domains and Subdomains have different databases as well as different users. Fair enough, I will try to protect my subdomain later when/if it is required.