MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: ...This is stupid.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Why is half the this forum software designed so stupid? No way in hell is it possible to change the colors of the PHP code... The geshi plugin has 1 setting, and is also useless, and PHPcolors addon is bugged.
Ive opened every single file on the server with vs code and searched for the color code....
How is a person with a dark theme suppost to see dark blue..
No true coder uses a light theme, cause it hurts the eyes after hours of starring at it. think about it.
I like this much better than phpBB but ill tell u, it has more bugs and dumb design flaws than any other forum software there is.

Like make it possible to change the dam colors.
jesus...
I mean, it's hardly a very commonly required thing for a start.

If you inspected the HTML, you'd see the CSS comes from here: https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/p...sm.min.css

All you need to do is define some CSS to override the colours, so it's actually very straight forward to do.

Unless you're talking about the ACP? In which case it would be down to the ACP theme designer to have accounted for this. Either way, the styling can be easily changed with CSS, but it's down to the theme author to do this. I'm not sure how MyBB is supposed to come pre-packed with styling that automatically works with every theme imaginable.
(2022-08-26, 07:56 PM)C0D3D Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there,

Would anyone be able to help me with this problem I'm having? I use a dark theme, and my users are having a difficult time reading the blue color used in displaying PHP code. Is there a way to change it?

Thank you.

I went ahead and re-wrote your question for you, so that someone might actually want to help you.
On the contrary I get a 'vB3' feel from MyBB and that's a pretty big compliment. I'll admit styling seems to be an issue in pretty much every free forum software (and a general issue with FOSS overall, same with anything requiring excess polishing like documentation, PR, etc.) - thank god it's not prosilver though, that thing needs literal reverse engineering...

I'm presuming that the plugin doesn't have options for adapting to specific themes, which I'm gonna admit, is silly (and you'd kind of expect it to be the other way around as OP hinted at). I guess hacking around the CSS attributes (or just making the codeblock background a fixed colour) using view-source/inspelement to figure it out and then putting it in the resources would work...

Could have done grep in a terminal for looking for stuff, if you're running from a VPS or on Linux in general. Also, Electron applications are fugly.
(2022-08-26, 07:56 PM)C0D3D Wrote: [ -> ]Why is half the this forum software designed so stupid? No way in hell is it possible to change the colors of the PHP code... The geshi plugin has 1 setting, and is also useless, and PHPcolors addon is bugged.
Ive opened every single file on the server with vs code and searched for the color code....
How is a person with a dark theme suppost to see dark blue..
No true coder uses a light theme, cause it hurts the eyes after hours of starring at it. think about it.
I like this much better than phpBB but ill tell u, it has more bugs and dumb design flaws than any other forum software there is.

Like make it possible to change the dam colors.
jesus...

It's been said that stupid is as stupid does.

Just as one man's junk is another man's treasure, so too is one man's genius another man's stupidity. Perceptions vary, and human beings tend to draw upon different background experiences that instruct their methodologies of approaching problems. Heck, at times, one man's mistake is another man's (or countless other people's joy. It is worth keeping in mind that the Creepers in Minecraft trace their origin to a programmer coding error.

How do you write software for tens of thousands, if not millions, to use? And how do you do so without missing things, without mkissi9ng anything, at all? How do you know how to take everything into account, every possible conceivable and inconceivable use, ahead of time and perfect, without error at all? You can't. Even entire teams of people can't. Error and failure to perceive what everyone wants is inherent in the beast that is programming - and all potential future users of a particular piece of software do not all possess the same grasp of everything that eventually gets programmed.

Furthermore, it is doubtful that you know what all coders use or prefer. I'm not a coder, but the older that I get, the more my preference shifts in favor of lighter colored themes. From my own first-hand experience, they're easier on my eyes, and they cause less eyestrain, compared to darker themes - and I frequently spend many hours staring at a computer monitor. In layman's terms, not everyone's eyes or vision are the same. There is no one size fits all.

As for bugs, it is incontestable true that MyBB has bugs. I'm not aware of any forum software product that never has bugs. Every forum software product that I have tried down through the years has had bugs. The fact that forum software teams routinely release updates to address and remedy bugs underscores this unfortunate reality. Programming code is a tedious, demanding, and precision-oriented task. Software products routinely embody thousands - or even millions - of lines of code. Rome didn't build itself, and neither do software products, for the most part. Perhaps artificial intelligence will augment programmers more and more, as we head into the future. It, too, still has a long, long way to go, though. AI and human beings have one thing in common, though - they're both unpredictable.

Your criticisms are worthy of being voices. After all, you have a perspective to share. Of course, you did have the option of sharing your needs well ahead of time, but instead, you did not. This unfortunate turn of events places the MyBB programming team in the position of responding to your late entry into the consideration process. In light of such, patience might serve a useful role, until MyBB reaches a stage in its development where all of your concerns are addressed.

Truly, MyBB is an imperfect forum software product. That said and conceded upfront, so, too, are all other forum software products on the market.  All things considered, though, both good and bad, MyBB is a fairly stable forum software product, and it has proven itself versatile enough for countless masses to adopt it as their forum software product of choice.