MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How do you moderate
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, so I've setup MyBB for the first time.  Been through all the configuration, created some accounts, threads and posts ... all working great Smile 

Am super impressed.  But .. I just can't understand how moderation works.

When logged on as a super moderator, the moderation queue is empty, even when users post.  

How do I moderate a forum? I can't find any step by step guides.
It will only require moderation if it is configured to require moderation, it's not enabled by default as that wouldn't make much sense.

Moderation for new posts can either be set at user or usergroup level, with the "Moderate Posts" option in the "Moderator Options" tab when editing a user, and the "Moderate new posts?" option in the "Forums and Posts" tab when editing a usergroup.

You can also edit the permissions for a forum, set custom permissions for a usergroup, and enable the "Moderate new posts?" option in the "Moderation" tab.
Thanks for the swift reply!

Very briefly, how am I supposed to "moderate". I'm new to this; have used forums loads but never moderated.

I want to have as small a workload as possible, but I need to ensure people aren't being offensive etc.

Do I turn on moderation to all forums/posts, or do you tend to just read the posts when you get time and take action as and when you see something or someone "reports".

What's the "best practice"?
Typically you'd moderate after the fact. If you moderate everything beforehand it'll give you a large workload and delay discussions on the forum. You'd usually only require moderation for new users, or users who typically cause issues, or if you need it for a specific reason in a certain forum. Otherwise, rely on people reporting content and delete offending posts and issue warnings and/or bans. Requiring moderation for all posts in the unlikely event there's offensive content is probably quite heavy handed and would stifle the forum's activity.
(2022-09-13, 11:28 AM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]Typically you'd moderate after the fact. If you moderate everything beforehand it'll give you a large workload and delay discussions on the forum. You'd usually only require moderation for new users, or users who typically cause issues, or if you need it for a specific reason in a certain forum. Otherwise, rely on people reporting content and delete offending posts and issue warnings and/or bans. Requiring moderation for all posts in the unlikely event there's offensive content is probably quite heavy handed and would stifle the forum's activity.

Thanks that makes perfect sense.