MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Best image practice for member posts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guy's,

My game board is going to use images a lot and i want to understand what would be the easiest and best way for members to do so?

I am aware there is a few plugins and the attachment system but if i am correct attachment are going to fill up my server disk space quite quickly right?

Thank for any help
regards Peter
hi, you have 4 way :
1) limit image size to Until the spaces are filled later.
2) force users to use image upload service
3) Run a image upload service for your website in download server
4) if you want I can create a plugin to upload your attachment on download server, with this way you dont use your mybb host, and if you want you can buy download host (but in this way mybb host bandwidth is used)
(2022-11-01, 08:57 PM)Mostafa.Shiraali Wrote: [ -> ]hi, you have 4 way :
1) limit image size to Until the spaces are filled later.
2) force users to use image upload service
3) Run a image upload service for your website in download server
4) if you want I can create a plugin to upload your attachment on download server, with this way you dont use your mybb host, and if you want you can buy download host (but in this way mybb host bandwidth is used)

Hi Mostafa and thank for replying, i am still undecided but i know the Blender artist forum let the member upload images from their computer so if i am correct this method would be efficient if images are stored on members computer right?
Is your problem in the storage space limitation or the upload method?
If the number of active users is not many, mybb host usually enough, But for very many users, for example, 5000 thousand active users per month to up ,better use download server, because use website server as storage server for high active user is not recommended.
(2022-11-01, 09:34 PM)SvePu Wrote: [ -> ]Please try this => https://community.mybb.com/thread-230646.html

Thank for the suggestion and i was considering this plugin.

Regards Peter

(2022-11-01, 10:00 PM)Mostafa.Shiraali Wrote: [ -> ]Is your problem in the storage space limitation or the upload method?
If the number of active users is not many, mybb host usually enough, But for very many users, for example, 5000 thousand active users per month to up ,better use download server, because use website server as storage server for high active user is not recommended.

Hi again Mostafa,

Well it's both, i want it to be as easy as possible for members and since i have a basic vps plan with 14 GB still available of my 20 GB i want to make sure i am not going to require more disk space too quickly. I am an indie game dev and my financial capacity are very thin.

Regards Peter
You can have a look to ABP imgur
(2022-11-01, 09:34 PM)SvePu Wrote: [ -> ]Please try this => https://community.mybb.com/thread-230646.html

^^^^^ This.

If I upload images from a phone, each might be on the order of 3 or 4 MB, but after resizing the storage and download is on the order of 300 KB.
Using 2100 pixels vertical and horizontal max. Image quality is acceptable for me and my forum users. I do not display thumbnails, instead show attachments as a full-size image. In that case, you can delete the thumbnail files from the server without penalty. Since post content resides in the database, really the only thing that consumes additional server space is attachments. On my server, the vast majority are jpeg and png.

Another space savings can be achieved by searching for orphans, i.e. attachments that are not tied to a valid post. Do that regularly.
(2022-11-01, 10:41 PM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]You can have a look to ABP imgur

Thank this seem like another interesting plugin, will probably give it a try later on tonight.

Regards Peter

(2022-11-01, 11:50 PM)HLFadmin Wrote: [ -> ]

^^^^^ This.

If I upload images from a phone, each might be on the order of 3 or 4 MB, but after resizing the storage and download is on the order of 300 KB.
Using 2100 pixels vertical and horizontal max. Image quality is acceptable for me and my forum users. I do not display thumbnails, instead show attachments as a full-size image. In that case, you can delete the thumbnail files from the server without penalty. Since post content resides in the database, really the only thing that consumes additional server space is attachments. On my server, the vast majority are jpeg and png.

Another space savings can be achieved by searching for orphans, i.e. attachments that are not tied to a valid post. Do that regularly.

Thank this are some good advice's and i will surely consider them.

Regards Peter