MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Cannot replace default avatar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guy's,

I already did a search and tried the solutions offer but nothing work for me so far. I even replace the ''default_avatar.png'' in mybb images folder for my custom one and the default avatar is always the same.

I also tried the default avatar fix plugin and still no luck!I am using the emerald theme so i tried dropping my custom avatar in their images folder and still nothing.

I have also tried putting an url in users/groups and even this doesn't work.

Another annoyance is that i cannot load an avatar from local computer, the image is a broken icon and when i load this image in another tab it display 403 forbidden!

Here you can clearly see that the correct custom avatar path is working :

[Image: nSJ30sK.jpg]

Any clue where is that default avatar is located?

Regards Peter
I've had problems with this, and I've had to clear the cache in my browser. Have you tried that?
(2022-11-12, 03:30 AM)judel Wrote: [ -> ]I've had problems with this, and I've had to clear the cache in my browser. Have you tried that?

Hi Judel and thank for replying but i already did this with no luck, i think it is related with the theme since Matt fix a few issues in it but mention there were still a lot of issue with it.

I have also contact the author of the theme on his website and i am awaiting his answer.

Regards Peter

Hi guy's, this is unsettling since i did nothing new and all of the sudden the avatar now show, i have absolutely no idea why it suddenly decide to load so if this happen again i won't know how to troubleshoot it!

But the i still cannot load an avatar from local computer.

Regards Peter
An image being cached won't be the theme, it will just be aggressive browser caching. Images are just files on the server loaded directly by the browser, the theme or MyBB itself aren't involved. If it shows now, the browser has just cleared its cache. You can usually add a query string to the end, so add like ?test123 after the file name, and that usually forces the browser to re-cache it.
(2022-11-12, 06:10 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]An image being cached won't be the theme, it will just be aggressive browser caching. Images are just files on the server loaded directly by the browser, the theme or MyBB itself aren't involved. If it shows now, the browser has just cleared its cache. You can usually add a query string to the end, so add like ?test123 after the file name, and that usually forces the browser to re-cache it.

Thank Matt probably the cache involved but still that was weird, any idea about the upload from local computer not working?

Regards peter
Either it's not actually overwritten the original image, it's being uploaded to the wrong place, or it's cached. There's not really anything else it can be.
(2022-11-12, 11:25 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]Either it's not actually overwritten the original image, it's being uploaded to the wrong place, or it's cached. There's not really anything else it can be.

I mean when member try to upload an image from their local computer, a broken image icon show and if they click to open the image in another tab it display a 403 forbidden error!

Found this post here, not from mybb but another similar issue on another board and if you look at the last post where the solution is mention he point toward server block config changing deny all to allow all but i am not sure if this could open a security hole on my server?

link to post: https://forum.espocrm.com/forum/general/...vatar-load

Here the server block section of my website :

}

# Deny access to internal files.
  location ~ /(inc|uploads/avatars) {
    deny all;
  }
I am pretty sure setting it to Allow all would fix the issue but i wonder about security!

Regards Peter
Make sure PHP/FastCGI scripts that reside in that folder are not processed.
Also, make sure the folder itself is writeable by the web server.
I don’t know why you would be excluding access to uploads/avatars in the first place…there’s not going to be any security issue, it’s only storing avatar images.
(2022-11-13, 12:19 PM)NextNep Wrote: [ -> ]Make sure PHP/FastCGI scripts that reside in that folder are not processed.
Also, make sure the folder itself is writeable by the web server.

Hi NextNep and thank for the tips, the folder have writing permissions.

Regards Peter

(2022-11-13, 05:09 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t know why you would be excluding access to uploads/avatars in the first place…there’s not going to be any security issue, it’s only storing avatar images.
Hi matt,

That code snippet was added by the SSL encryption certificate from certbot since i use the auto mode, i will ask the certbot guy's why this code is added and i will change it to allow all and see how it goes.

Regards Peter
Pages: 1 2