MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Errors in user's screens; admin not working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
All, 

I am a novice who lackadaisically maintains a MyBB BBQ site as a hobby for 20 or so friends.  Users are getting a bunch of errors at the top of their screens (though the site generally works). I tried to include a pic here but not sure it worked [attachment=45598].  I thought an update was needed but when I tried, I can't even get Admin CP to work so I'm worried about going forward and mucking things up (I can bring the main page up by typing myurl/admin, but clicking on any link brings up the MyBB login screen which repeats over and over).

When I look at the files in the error, like global.php from the error below, i can't find any reference to "cookiessecureflag" so am not sure what is going on.
"Warning [2] Undefined array key "cookiesecureflag" - Line: 33 - File: global.php(813) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.25 (Linux)"

Any help or direction would be appreciated cause I'm stuck.  

Running 
  • Hosted on Hostmonster
  • MyBB ver 1.8.7 
  • Apache 2.4.53
  • PHP 8.1.5
  • MySQL 5.7.23-23
  • I have a theme installed, produced by D&D, Emerald, https://community.mybb.com/mods.php?acti...w&pid=1037  This may be part of the problem as it is pretty basic and I seem to have lost even a logout button.
  • No plugins that I can remember.

Thanks,
Brian
If you're able to get PHP 7.4 installed, that will clear the error. Your host may have updated. PHP 7.4 is EOL tomorrow. PHP 8 is mostly functional on current MyBB 1.8.30+, although it appears plugins are the items giving the most grief.
I was able to switch to PHP 7.4 and it is fixed! How did you know that was the problem? What should I do now?

Thank you so much,
Brian
MyBB 1.8.7 was released in 2016, and PHP 7.0 was the new release around that time.

PHP releases are supported for 2 years upon release, with security updates for one additional year. Then they are no longer supported.

New releases often deprecate functions in older versions, but eventually they are removed. If your host is following the life cycle, they will upgrade their servers, usually with advance notification. When server software is updated, often it is to fix security vulnerabilities, which pushes an admin's desire to stay current a little higher on the list of website priorities.

You should consider upgrading your forum to a more recent version. It is not a trivial task, but a good idea to stay current. If you have no plugins running, your task is simpler. Also, it appears the Emerald theme has been updated recently as well.

This document is a good place to start reading. https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/upgrade/

Good luck.
You definitely need to update, you're 6 and a half years behind on some quite critical security updates.
(2022-11-28, 11:20 AM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]You definitely need to update, you're 6 and a half years behind on some quite critical security updates.

I don't like to jump into things will nilly!
I'm not sure what would be jumping into things willy nilly about installing updates, especially for so long. It is important to keep software up to date.
Sorry - I was being sarcastic. I know I've been remiss in BB management. Sad As a novice, updating is tough because there is to know about hosting, bb, etc. Even the little things take a lot of learning and time. But I did the update yesterday and it went much easier than the last time! I now need to figure out how to update the template.

I did try to run under PHP 8.0 but had an error pop up so I feel back to 7.4. Hoping it clears up with an updated template.

While I'm posting, I want to express how much I like MyBB and what a great package it is. I've been so impressed with the BB I've set up, generally with minimal effort, and the bulk of that is owed to MyBB. And the multitude of people willing to help is superb. So thank you and the rest that make it possible! 🏆👏🔥