MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Embeding video from own server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First off, I am almost completely self-hosted - the only exception involves E-Mail, and even there, I have my own, BUT I do use an external SMTP server to send mail with (but y sever domain shows up in the from heading, and I receive it on my own).
Obviously it likely would not be a good idea to just let everyone upload videos/image files to my host - BUT see no reason I (as the owner/operator) should not be able to just copy files to the server location, and then use them within a post I make.
BUT I attempted to do just that with an instructional video (.mp4 format), I managed to be able to link to it, and it will open ion a new browser window - HOWEVER, can not seem to get it to embed.  Embedding works fine if it's YouTube hosting it (haven't tried it, but I would say likely the other hosts listed for the video tag probably work fine as well), but any clue how to embed in to the post, when the video I want embedded is also being hosted on my own server? Huh
Two ways:
1. create a new MyCode (like [localvid]videofile.mp4[/localvid] and the appropriate embed
2. modify the javascript of codebuttons to add your server as a video provider (also with the good video embeder template)

Depending on who can upload videos and your js level, you can choose the best solution
(2022-12-14, 07:48 AM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]Two ways:
1. create a new MyCode (like [localvid]videofile.mp4[/localvid] and the appropriate embed
2. modify the javascript of codebuttons to add your server as a video provider (also with the good video embeder template)

Depending on who can upload videos and your js level, you can choose the best solution

Cool 
Actually, there was a third method - although I may look in to that as something built in, but apparently I just had some sort of brain fart Blush  - totally forgot html can be used in posts, so all it really took was in the post add:
<video controls>
<source src="link to video file">
</video>