MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to extend the maximum number of characters in Thread subject [Urgent Help]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I did everything I knew to make the thread subject longer then 85 character but I am still stuck at 85 Character limit for a reason unknown to me so please anyone help me out, it is urgent.

I keep getting this following error :-
The subject is too long. Please enter a subject shorter than 85 characters (currently 105).

The things I tried to fix this :-

1. Edited Maximum Thread Character Length in Configuration Tab in Mybb Admin Panel from 85 to 120

2. Went to My Templates > Selected New Threads Templates > Edited newthread > changed subject maxlength = "85" to "120"

<td class="trow2">{$prefixselect}<input type="text" class="textbox" name="subject" size="40" maxlength="120" value="{$subject}" tabindex="1" /></td>

3. Finally went to PhPmyAdmin and Login to the Database > Querry Tab > and ran this Querry and changed subject length to 120

ALTER TABLE mybb_threads CHANGE subject VARCHAR 120

4. In addition to all these above listed, I also edited and changed the varchar of mybb_posts subject varchar to 120 too.

After doing all the above four troubleshoot, I am still getting this error, where am I doing wrong, please help me fix this.

The subject is too long. Please enter a subject shorter than 85 characters (currently 118).

Digging and Digging upto Help Docs of MyBB 1.6 and finally I found where to fix it,

First go to :- /inc/datahandlers/post.php

The default is 85, just change it to 120 - 160 - 180 whatever you like.

if($subject_length > 85)
		{
			// Subject is too long
			$this->set_error('subject_too_long', my_strlen($subject));
			return false;

Change it to :- 160 150 200 Like shown bellow -

if($subject_length > 160)
		{
			// Subject is too long
			$this->set_error('subject_too_long', my_strlen($subject));
			return false;

And issue fixed!  Big Grin