MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Default search behavior
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Trying to sort out some differences.

A clean install of 1833 on PHP 8 yields
Quote:You did not enter any search terms. At a minimum, you must enter either some search terms or a username to search by.
when I do not enter any search terms. Using default form values. Default template.

A forum upgraded over time from 1.6.8 to 1.8.33 with same search parameters, no plugins, default template, yields result of all posts. File verification shows only language files modified.

Attempting same on community.mybb.com yields a blank page with no results, no message like the clean install.
Digging around in the code, I've found that that error message is emitted when Board Settings » Search System » Search Type is set to "Standard". When set to "Full Text", no error message is emitted, and the results are as you say: all posts are returned.

Maybe this explains why you're experiencing the difference between your clean install and upgraded board.

On this Community board, I suspect that the search is for some reason encountering a fatal error, which is why nothing is shown at all. Perhaps there is something in the error log.
That's it. Thanks.