MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: General Questions - MyBB post / reply notifications, announcements
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am considering moving to MyBB but have some 'software requirements' that are a must have issue.

The forum is for members of an outdoor club to  access events.

A category/board specifically for events where people can sign up or ask questions using the reply function. A calendar display is a bonus but not really necessary if the date is in the subject.

Important Feature
When a new topic (event) is made a notification is sent to all members. BUT READ BELOW FIRST.
Notifications for replies are fairly standard so not an issue.

Problems
At present we use phpBB but it stops sending new notifications if people do not log in after one. Unfortunately people are happy getting emails and if it suites them they log in to reply, if not, they don't bother but then do not get further notifications of other topics. It is easy to say, tell them they need to log in or else... but in reality it does not work. The emails stop appearing in their inbox and they think the club is inactive and forget about it.

I could as Administrator, send out mass emails but I do not want to do that all the time - sending copies of posts.
Other plugins like Digest posts work the same way and check last login before sending.

Board notifications work the same way as well it appears.

Result is the forum appears dead to people waiting for emails that do not visit often or log in.

Does MyBB work the same way with notifications? If they do not log in after a notification then no others are sent?

We have also used SMF which had an Announce Topic feature so organizers could send it out to everyone when they posted. Unfortunately SMF development slowed a lot over the years and other bugs and problems were never fixed.

I think MyBB used to have an events calendar...

Thanks in advance,
Andy
Quote: Does MyBB work the same way with notifications? If they do not log in after a notification then no others are sent?

Yes - I’m fairly sure all forum software works this way, otherwise users would get inundated with emails and thousands would be sent to inactive users. It would send one email per subscribed thread/forum though, not one email across the board.

MyBB does have an events calendar, but it doesn’t create threads.
Thanks.
In our case the events board would not be so busy... 4 to at most 6 a month probably. It is a bit of a problem these days as people do not log in like they used to. Many do not go in winter and wait for warmer weather but get no new post notifications in spring.

I suppose I could update last login date via phpadmin every month but then I cannot track old unused accounts.