MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: two different databases using the same file system?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm looking to dive headfirst into creating an ability to use different databases that access the same file systems. I've got two similar forums but one is the "spicy" version that's lowkey and basically invite only. However, I want to use less file space on my server as this host does limit the amount of files you can have. Both of these boards are using the same plugins, same images, etc. just different domains and obviously two different databases. I have twice the amount of files because of this.

Would someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction where to start, maybe some web docs related to what I need to understand do, and so on?

I greatly appreciate any help!
I doubt that's even going to be possible due to upload paths and cache files, plus settings.php and config.php that would need to be different. config.php you might be able to handle with domain-based conditions, but settings.php is auto-generated.

Where are you hosting in 2023 that the number of files would be an issue, or the files for forum software would be using too much space? Is it being hosted on a USB stick or SD card? It sounds like a lot of hassle for something that shouldn't even be an issue.
I've got hosting all over the place and many different forums. This particular one is hosted by a friend with a home server who has a limited amount of room.

I can always switch it over to a paid host but was just curious if this was possible.

Thanks! Smile
When running a second forum on the very same version, it would be possible to link most of the core files to a different location (symbolic links) - but config files that needs individual modifications.
This way there is no need to copy a complete file set and reduce disk space.

[ExiTuS]