MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: WebPP for MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: SmLkxe5.png]

WebPP for MyBB

Change the extensions of the existing profile photos to .webp and upload the new ones as .webp.

🏁 Why We Should Prefer WebP Extension

.webp is a compression format for image files. It was developed by Google and was announced in 2010. This format offers several advantages over other image formats.

Here are some of the differences between .webp format and other formats:
  • Better compression: .webp format has a better compression ratio than other formats. This results in smaller file sizes and faster loading times.
  • Alpha channel support: .webp format offers alpha channel support, like some other formats. This allows the background of images to be set as transparent.
  • Animation support: .webp format offers better animation support than other formats.
  • Better color accuracy: .webp format has better color accuracy, which results in higher quality images.
  • Supported devices: .webp format is supported by newer web browsers. However, some older browsers and devices do not support this format.

In summary, .webp format offers several advantages such as better compression, alpha channel support, animation support, color accuracy, and faster loading times. However, there are some limitations when it comes to supported devices.

⚙️ System Requirements

PHP >= 7.0, < 8.3.
MyBB >= 1.8.*

ℹ️ Details

👉 https://community.mybb.com/mods.php?acti...w&pid=1548

Feel happy while using it!
Nice plugin, thanks.
You're welcome!
sir here i found a issue. for animated image its make still image. and also if i upload webp animated image its also give me warning that not support the file
Yes, it will regenerate avatars with the .gif extension as inactive. Because it cannot convert .gif file directly to .webp format.

I haven't made any changes to the avatar types MyBB supports. If you want, you can also add the .webp format as follows.

Open the ./inc/functions_upload.php file:

Find:

if(!preg_match("#^(gif|jpg|jpeg|jpe|bmp|png)$#i", $ext))

Replace:

if(!preg_match("#^(gif|jpg|jpeg|jpe|bmp|png|webp)$#i", $ext))

Also, the plugin has not been tested on .bmp and .jpe formats. If you get an error, I'm here to fix it.
(2023-02-20, 03:12 PM)tedem Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, it will regenerate avatars with the .gif extension as inactive. Because it cannot convert .gif file directly to .webp format.

I haven't made any changes to the avatar types MyBB supports. If you want, you can also add the .webp format as follows.

Open the ./inc/functions_upload.php file:

Find:

Replace:

Also, the plugin has not been tested on .bmp and .jpe formats. If you get an error, I'm here to fix it.

i did it  if(!preg_match("#^(gif|jpg|jpeg|jpe|bmp|png|webp)$#i", $ext)) 
but still its giving me upload error
The file upload failed. Please choose a valid file and try again.
Do you have webp as a valid upload type in AdminCP / Confiiguration / Attachment Types?
As HLFadmin said, you need to add a new Attachment Type.

ACP → Confiiguration → Attachment Types → Add New Attachment Type

(Fill as follows.)

Name
.webp

File Extension *
webp

MIME Type *
image/webp

Maximum File Size (Kilobytes)

Attachment Icon
images/attachtypes/image.png

Enabled?
(Yes)

Force Download
(No)

Available to groups
All groups

Available in forums
All groups

(Yes)

Next, open the ./inc/functions_upload.php file:

Find:

Replace:

Find:

case "image/x-windows-bmp":
    $img_type = 6;
    break;

Replace:

case "image/x-windows-bmp":
    $img_type = 6;
    break;
case "image/webp":
    $img_type = 18;
    break;

Done, this is how it works.