MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Disable Quote in my answer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi all,

I just set up a forum with MyBB.
I am very satisfied with this, but one thing really irritates me.

When I click on 'Reply' at the bottom of a post, a screen opens where I can type my reply, but there is also a copy for the post I'm replying to. I really don't want this.
Is there a way to turn this off?

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks in advance.
Lotte Devone
Reply To a post implies that there are parts you want to highlight that are pertinent to your reply. Otherwise, use New Reply button at top and bottom of thread page, or Quick Reply for non-quoted message.

You can make a template change in Newreply template.
Change line 32
<textarea id="message" name="message" rows="20" cols="70" tabindex="2" >{$message}</textarea>
to
<textarea id="message" name="message" rows="20" cols="70" tabindex="2" ></textarea>

This disables automatic quoting (and multiquoting) in Reply To and New Reply pages. If you *do* wish to quote a post, you can select the post or posts, then use the Quick Reply form at the bottom of the page. Make sure to select the link to "Quote these posts now".

Hope this is clear and it helps.
@HLFadmin

Hi there, and thank you for your reply.
Can you please tell me in what file I have to make that change?
I searched all my files on my FTP, but can't seem to find the specific file where i have to make that change.
I don't use any other theme on my forum. Just the standard theme that came with the install package.

Hope you can point it out for me.

Have a very nice day!
Lotte <3

Hi again.

I found it when i was looking for something else!

Thank you for helping me out with this!

Have a nice day!
Lotte <3
(2023-03-14, 02:29 AM)HLFadmin Wrote: [ -> ]Reply To a post implies that there are parts you want to highlight that are pertinent to your reply. Otherwise, use New Reply button at top and bottom of thread page, or Quick Reply for non-quoted message.

You can make a template change in Newreply template.
Change line 32
<textarea id="message" name="message" rows="20" cols="70" tabindex="2" >{$message}</textarea>
to
<textarea id="message" name="message" rows="20" cols="70" tabindex="2" ></textarea>

This disables automatic quoting (and multiquoting) in Reply To and New Reply pages. If you *do* wish to quote a post, you can select the post or posts, then use the Quick Reply form at the bottom of the page. Make sure to select the link to "Quote these posts now".

Hope this is clear and it helps.
Would probably be cleaner to edit the postbit_quote template and remove this:

&amp;replyto={$post['pid']}
Mmm, better.

Has the advantage of marking the Quote This Post button, then hitting New Reply or Reply To, and the post is quoted, retaining all features lost by my original suggestion.

This is the better solution. Thanks Matt.