MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: WBB4 to MyBB - Importing Attachments incredible slow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there

I am evaluating the chance to switch our WBB4 Forum to MyBB so i made a test install of MyBB and also installed the merge system.
Our Forum has 75.000+ Members and has grown over the last 13 years. So there is a bit content there.

First thing i found out is that the merge system does not work with PHP 8, but that was quite easy to fix by using a PHP 7.4 Docker.

The merge also went quit well, at least i think. All steps were done in approx. 2 hours, only the last Step importing the 50.000+ Attachments is nur running since over 12 hours on not quite half of the attachments are imported.

Is this normal? PHP can grab the Files directly from disc and does not have to go the detour over a http server.
Is there any way to speed this process up?

And is there a cli for the merge system so that the process could run an the command line instead of in the browser?
Yes, I think that's normal for forums having lots of attachments. The process of merging an attachment file from the old forum to the new forum involves attachment file reading, converting and writing, which may take much more time than only database queries costs.

I suggest running the Merge System in a development environment with fast HDD I/O, e.g., with SSD, probably when the board is set to closed.

I'm sorry there's no official CLI for the Merge System. Maybe some online conversion services have this feature.
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah i set up a dev system on my 8C/16T Laptop with an NVMe SSD but even than the process would take up to 48hours if it runs always the same speed.
Another problem is that the process already crashed two time leaving me with a corrupted database. Unfortunately i dont think thats the way to go for me.
The Merge System will track each module's progress, and if you leave the conversion in the middle of running a module, the interface of the Merge System's modules listing when you re-enter it will let you pick up the progress and continue the process of running that module. So, I'm not sure what kind of crashed process you've encountered and how the database was corrupted.