MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Meta for Google Search and Social Media
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK, I built a new forum and it's fairly well ironed out.  I added Google SEO plugin but my question is, what can I do to get my forum picked up by Google Search and also is there anything to do so Social Media grabs certain images and blurbs when sharing the URL or sharing topics?  I have been searching MyBB but it is confusing as to what works these days vs. older posts with old info!  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get my new site on the map?
If your site is linked to from an already-indexed (by Google) site, then it will eventually be indexed by Google. If you want to (potentially) speed up the process, then consider submitting your sitemap.

For social media, try Open Graph meta tags as explained here (I've not read the linked page in full, but it seems informative given what I did read):

https://ahrefs.com/blog/open-graph-meta-tags/
(2023-06-30, 12:57 PM)Laird Wrote: [ -> ]If your site is linked to from an already-indexed (by Google) site, then it will eventually be indexed by Google. If you want to (potentially) speed up the process, then consider submitting your sitemap.

For social media, try Open Graph meta tags as explained here (I've not read the linked page in full, but it seems informative given what I did read):

https://ahrefs.com/blog/open-graph-meta-tags/

Open Graph looks super helpful!  Thank you for the link...I am going to try out the meta tags and see what happens!  Right now, when I try to link on Facebook, the link is empty with no image at all.  Hopefully this helps!
Happy to have helped. Best of success with it.
Here's something I just discovered.

I had been noticing that Googlebot was only hitting the front page of my site. I searched Google for "devastatia" yesterday and found that the one search result for my site was very stale. The information was from way before I installed MyBB.

I noticed there's a little ... menu beside each search result. If you click that menu, you get a popover box titled "More options." Scroll to the bottom and you'll see "Send feedback." Click that, and you'll see a feedback form. Just say the data is stale and the site needs to be re-crawled, and click Send.

I did that yesterday, and Googlebot is crawling my threads this morning. Smile