MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Timeout when installing 1.8.35 using Sqlite3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi
I have been trying to install  MyBB  using Sqlite3 as the database but it timesout after setting up the tables (when the themes, etc are being setup) 
I followed the instructions and did the setup of Nginx as instructed.

I retried the installer multiple times but sadly nothing worked.

My server has 64gb Ram and a powerful CPU -- so that should not be a problem.
I am using Nginx  and I extended the timeout of Nginx to 4 minutes
(Gave this config in Nginx config)

keepalive_timeout 240s;

... even that did not work

In short, this seems to be a severe blocker. I have no clue what to do next. I am new to MyBB so kindly pardon if I am asking a naive question
Regards
Sabu
Do you have any log on that timeout? May be found in the PHP error log or NGINX's error log.
Thank you for your response.

In the nginx error log file I see lot of entries of this type:

2023/07/28 19:45:00 [error] 3159519#3159519: *24 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream, client: 202.164.137.119, server: bb.______.com, request: "POST /install/index.php HTTP/2.0", upstream: "fastcgi://127.0.0.1:9000", host: "bb.________.com", referrer: "https://bb._____.com/install/index.php"
(2023-07-28, 07:09 PM)limenleap Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for your response.

In the nginx error log file I see lot of entries of this type:

2023/07/28 19:45:00 [error] 3159519#3159519: *24 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream, client: 202.164.137.119, server: bb.______.com, request: "POST /install/index.php HTTP/2.0", upstream: "fastcgi://127.0.0.1:9000", host: "bb.____.com", referrer: "https://bb._____.com/install/index.php"

Seems to me that the configuration of fastcgi or php-fpm is to blame. BTW, your domain is still leaked.
I got it to work. Hope this solution helps someone

I had to put this into the nginx configuration. I have no idea why it takes so much time to setup the themes, etc. Maybe it is because I selected
 sqlite?

fastcgi_read_timeout 720;

Yes. Domain got leaked :-)  It was around 2am here :-)
(2023-07-29, 03:16 PM)limenleap Wrote: [ -> ]I got it to work. Hope this solution helps someone

I had to put this into the nginx configuration. I have no idea why it takes so much time to setup the themes, etc. Maybe it is because I selected
 sqlite?

Yep, I think so.

When using SQLite as the database, the file system and the file storage on which the database file is saved and accessed is responsible for the database engine performance.

During the installation of MyBB forum software, the step of theme and template process involves a great many table row insertions. I guess that'd be where the installation hung. IIRC, MyBB may be improved in batch database insertions like this for SQLite.

BTW, is the server on HDD or SSD? How's the disk performance benchmark?
Thank you for all the help.

I will do a HDD performance measurement and let you know. I don't think it is so degraded that it affects the performance, as my other sites work fine.

I am also facing intermittent problem in the UI... I get a spinner (as seen in the image below) for some parts of the UI where dynamic content is being displayed. What I find odd is that the same area gets displayed quite fine, if I briefly navigate somewhere else return back. 

I am wondering if this could be because of PHP 8.1 that I use ... or is some issue with caching?

Thanks for all the help again
best regards

[Image: my-BBSpinner.png]

I also noticed the the configuration settings now has "doubled" up entries. It does not seem to do any harm (It looks as if I can choose either of the two options when doing the settings) I suspect it happened because of the 1st failed installation when Nginx did not have the correct timeout.  Then I increased the timeout as explained earlier; I deleted the sqlite3 db and started again -- possibly in the meantime, something else had already got written in the source code ...

Or is there some other explanation for this behaviour?

Pardon for asking so many questions. I am doing it just so that they all come under one thread -- installing of 1.8.35  and it could help others too

Thanks
best regards

[Image: mybb-Double-Entries.png]
(2023-07-30, 04:57 PM)limenleap Wrote: [ -> ]I also noticed the the configuration settings now has "doubled" up entries. It does not seem to do any harm (It looks as if I can choose either of the two options when doing the settings) I suspect it happened because of the 1st failed installation when Nginx did not have the correct timeout.  Then I increased the timeout as explained earlier; I deleted the sqlite3 db and started again -- possibly in the meantime, something else had already got written in the source code ...

(...)

[Image: mybb-Double-Entries.png]

The doubled entries situation in board configurations looks like a result of double row inserting to the database during installation. Maybe you've pressed some button twice. Try a fresh new install, then.

Honestly, I'm no expert in SQLite, it's just I've seen something similar to yours, on some poor low-end PCs.
Thanks.

I reconstructed the entire forum -- thankfully, I had not written much. The forum is better now (no doubled up entries)

However, the spinner going around and around without displaying the dynamic content is very worrying. It makes the user experience quite tough. I am wondering what I can do to prevent that. I can't even detect a pattern. Sometimes the spinner is displayed without moving ahead ... but once a while it does show the content after a few seconds. Strangely, when I navigate to another page and return back, it seems to work fine.

I sorely wanted to use SQLITE because it becomes quite easy to backup the data produced. Also, my past experience with SQLITE has been excellent, to say the least -- I find it very surprising that using Sqlite can degrade performance so much. I feel something else is happening here (I admit... without much background knowledge of MyBB. pardon me for sounding my opinion)

Best Regards

Just to give more clue about when the spinner appears and refuses to go... 

I noticed that portal.php results in 503 status once a while -- that's the time when the spinner stays on the screen I think

[Image: Spinner.png]
(2023-07-30, 04:57 PM)limenleap Wrote: [ -> ]I am also facing intermittent problem in the UI... I get a spinner (as seen in the image below) for some parts of the UI where dynamic content is being displayed. What I find odd is that the same area gets displayed quite fine, if I briefly navigate somewhere else return back. 

That's a problem with the Roundo theme(s) in particular. I vaguely remember encountering it too when I was setting up the theme, but I didn't take any notes and don't recall how I fixed it. If I do remember or track down the fix, I'll follow up here.
Pages: 1 2