MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Upgrading server, what do you recommend?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got a forum from a friend who wanted to leave and he left me a VPS that is running:
  • Ubuntu 18.04
  • NGINX: 1.25.0
  • MySQLi / MariaDB: 10.5.21
  • PHP Version: 7.4.33
  • MyBB Version: 1.8.35

• Hestia Control Panel

Since Ubuntu 18 LTS reached the end of life I will need to upgrade and because I am not an expert I wanted to ask you what would you upgrade to.

I do not wish to break the forum or have issues with the plugins that are installed.

The KVM VPS only has 2vCores, 2Gb of RAM, and 20Gb SSDherefore choosing the Ubuntu version might be a factor, mostly because of the RAM according to what I've read.

If you can also share how the performance has improved or not it would be very useful

I know it is a lot of questions but since I will have to hire someone to upgrade everything I might as well do it all now.

Blush
It makes sense to upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS. You might get PHP 8 which MyBB isn't 100% compatible with yet but it shouldn't break anything.
Sorry to ask Nathan,

do you think I got enough Ram and vCores to run the latest version of Ubuntu?

Regarding PHP I was looking and on my Control Panel they have PHP-FPM 8.2 ready to be installed.
Do you think the plugins and I inherited a few old ones won't break?

Last question, how is it running for you...way faster? I saw people reporting the performance is way better, other saying it is resource intensive for the server.

The reason why I am asking all these question because I will have to hire someone to get at least the server with those specs.
Then it will be even harder to find someone who is MyBB savvy and may do some work at fair prices

But I do not want to see the forum die

Thank you NathanĀ  Blush
(2023-08-16, 11:02 PM)cbctrainee Wrote: [ -> ]do you think I got enough Ram and vCores to run the latest version of Ubuntu?

Easily.

(2023-08-16, 11:02 PM)cbctrainee Wrote: [ -> ]Regarding PHP I was looking and on my Control Panel they have PHP-FPM 8.2 ready to be installed.
Do you think the plugins and I inherited a few old ones won't break?

They might, they might not, it's not possible to tell. Probably not in any significant way though.

(2023-08-16, 11:02 PM)cbctrainee Wrote: [ -> ]Last question, how is it running for you...way faster? I saw people reporting the performance is way better, other saying it is resource intensive for the server.

Honestly MyBB is very lightweight and there won't be any significant speed increases simply by upgrading Ubuntu and PHP. Performance is determined by many factors.