MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: moving database to new host
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Current database is running on MySQL 5.7 and has been trouble free for many years.
Planning to move to a new host which uses MariaDB, which I have no experience with.

Will a database backup created with mysqldump import into the new system without flaws?
If I imported a database for clone purposes, I would use mysql on the command line. Is it different with MariaDB?
Except for changing the database type in config.php, is there anything else that I should be aware of when converting?

Is there an advantage of one system over the other?
(2023-09-04, 02:39 AM)HLFadmin Wrote: [ -> ]Will a database backup created with mysqldump import into the new system without flaws?

Almost certainly. My host uses MySQL, and my dev machine uses MariaDB. I've never had an issue importing a MySQL backup from my host (yes, created with mysqldump) into the MariaDB server on my dev machine.

(2023-09-04, 02:39 AM)HLFadmin Wrote: [ -> ]If I imported a database for clone purposes, I would use mysql on the command line. Is it different with MariaDB?

Nope. It's identical.

(2023-09-04, 02:39 AM)HLFadmin Wrote: [ -> ]Except for changing the database type in config.php, is there anything else that I should be aware of when converting?

Not that I'm aware of, and you don't even need to change anything in config.php - the same drivers work for both MySQL and MariaDB.

(2023-09-04, 02:39 AM)HLFadmin Wrote: [ -> ]Is there an advantage of one system over the other?

I'm not well read on this, but at least in terms of MyBB, I'm not aware of any significant advantages of either system over the other. Others might have more knowledgeable answers.
Thanks for that. I like answers based on direct experience.
When it happens next month, I'll let you know how it went.