MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Spellchecker
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Not sure if this exists, but I did a search for it and didn't see anything that had been completed.

I suggest that myBB come with a built-in spell checker (or a mod), perhaps working exactly like Firefox's / Microsoft Word's, with a little red squiggly line under a misspelled word, and you can right-click it to see how it should be spelled.

What do you guys think? Can this be done?
Yeah, this is something I would like to. I have a site that uses Google for a spell checker, but he has a license that says I have to talk to him before I incorporate it into any software.
SurferJon Wrote:Not sure if this exists, but I did a search for it and didn't see anything that had been completed.

I suggest that myBB come with a built-in spell checker (or a mod), perhaps working exactly like Firefox's / Microsoft Word's, with a little red squiggly line under a misspelled word, and you can right-click it to see how it should be spelled.

What do you guys think? Can this be done?

And what's to stop you from simply using Firefox, so the messages you write in MyBB are spell checked? I think that's a preferable solution to reinventing the wheel. Don't we all agree yet that Internet Explorer is pathetic and dangerously insecure?
I use Firefox - my members do not.
Your members should use firefox if they want spell checking - no need to reinvent the wheel
SurferJon Wrote:I use Firefox - my members do not.

Urge them to switch. Smile
I found a python script which does a spell check much like Google's:

http://www.norvig.com/spell-correct.html
Well i would put images and link and what not saying go Firefox and all but i do think this would be better as a plugin as i would not like to see a spell checker as i use Firefox and i dose the job very well.
If you want people to use your site or service you have to do the thinking for them. It's ok saying browsers have spell checkers and putting pointers to that in the forums but that not going to cut it with most people. People expect a dedicated spell check and it will reflect badly on your site if they look for it and don't find it.

So yes please, each time someone posts on my forum I would like auto spell check please.
2 year old thread...

Why would we bother implementing this though if almost all browsers do it anyway?? What would be the point?? Why spend time doing it when it's already been done?? What do you mean by a 'dedicated' spell check...?? People are going to find it because it's already in most browsers.
Pages: 1 2