MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Importing users from a CSV file
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all. I am brand new to this forum, and brand new to this product, so please be patient with me as I come up to speed! I'll be installing MyBB soon to stand up a new solution intended to replace my town's antiquated listserv for context.

I have previously use phpBB for years, and knew enough about PHP to be dangerous. I can also assemble a SQL script ok so I'm not afraid of a little coding if need be. And this question seems to have been partially asked and answered but I can't piece enough information together to make a workable solution.

I am looking for a plugin or complete script that will allow me to:

1. Import a list of existing users from a CSV file. The format will likely only include the username and email address.
2. Have it generate a temporary password that would need to be changed when the user logs on first time
3. Send a message to the user indicating their new account was created, show them their temporary password and ask them to log on and change it.

Does such a plugin or script exist already? Thanks all for your patience as I come up to speed here.

Brian
If you have your phpBB base, you can use the merge system to import your old forum.
And if you have only a csv file, you can import it using phpmyadmin after having added the mandatory (and without default value) columns and fill them to ""
if you want I can create a plugin or script to do these for you (non-free). if you want send message through telegram or discord. (signature)
(2023-12-22, 05:47 PM)bigbluebottle Wrote: [ -> ]Hello all. I am brand new to this forum, and brand new to this product, so please be patient with me as I come up to speed! I'll be installing MyBB soon to stand up a new solution intended to replace my town's antiquated listserv for context.

I have previously use phpBB for years, and knew enough about PHP to be dangerous. I can also assemble a SQL script ok so I'm not afraid of a little coding if need be. And this question seems to have been partially asked and answered but I can't piece enough information together to make a workable solution.

I am looking for a plugin or complete script that will allow me to:

1. Import a list of existing users from a CSV file. The format will likely only include the username and email address.
2. Have it generate a temporary password that would need to be changed when the user logs on first time
3. Send a message to the user indicating their new account was created, show them their temporary password and ask them to log on and change it.

Does such a plugin or script exist already? Thanks all for your patience as I come up to speed here.

Brian

As you can handle as CSV, then with username and email all can be improved as a plugin to do what you want, for first add random passwords and sent as plain text to every user by email, and that way for users can change it, due it can be uses a single password and all or one, but the problem is if they know that maybe they can enter and change all users passwords as they want. The best choice is set a random password for every user and sent that mail with information to change their password and make a registered account or similar, or sent just a new form on users mail with a link to change their password with new fields to verify it and customize own password from there, there are a lot of ways to do that, but the best one is if you have it already from phpBB or single CSV, maybe you can go with the way @Crazycat tolds.