MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to disable email registration completely?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I need to disable email registration completely. I understand that in order to do this I need to edit some core files and not just templates - because when I remove the email block from template, it still does not let me through as it checks the email field.

I was not able to find any plugins for 1.8.
Maybe I am missing what you wish to do?
But, don't you just turn it off in the admin control panel?
(2024-01-06, 05:32 PM)lost puppy Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe I am missing what you wish to do?
But, don't you just turn it off in the admin control panel?

As I already said, I want to disable the email registration completely, that means users do not have to enter email address when registering. 

As far as I know, you cannot "turn it of in the admin control panel". You can change the Registration method to "Instant Activation", but that does not help with the issue that users are still required to enter an email address.
You will need a plugin for this, the hook necessary to accomplish this would be datahandler_user_validate (to bypass validation). Additionally some you will need to make some template edits and probably review some settings.

In the end, it should be fully possible with a plugin but not possible without at least some file edit.
This may not fulfill all that you need but I just made some new members (via the register page on my test site) without putting in an email address.

I made the email fields "Hidden" and added a default value for them (just a made up email address of my test domain) .... all entered into db fine and they became members.

In the "member_register" template I changed these 2 lines:

<td width="50%" valign="top"><input type="text" class="textbox" name="email" id="email" style="width: 100%" maxlength="50" value="{$email}" /></td>
<td width="50%" valign="top"><input type="text" class="textbox" name="email2" id="email2" style="width: 100%" maxlength="50" value="{$email2}" /></td>

to:

<td width="50%" valign="top"><input type="hidden" value="[email protected]" class="textbox" name="email" id="email" style="width: 100%" maxlength="50" value="{$email}" /></td>
<td width="50%" valign="top"><input type="hidden" value="[email protected]" class="textbox" name="email2" id="email2" style="width: 100%" maxlength="50" value="{$email2}" /></td>

and in ACP allowed the same email address to be used multiple times.

Might help you Undecided
(2024-01-07, 11:31 AM)lost puppy Wrote: [ -> ]This may not fulfill all that you need but I just made some new members (via the register page on my test site) without putting in an email address.

I made the email fields "Hidden" and added a default value for them (just a made up email address of my test domain) .... all entered into db fine and they became members.

<td width="50%" valign="top"><input type="text" class="textbox" name="email" id="email" style="width: 100%" maxlength="50" value="{$email}" /></td>
<td width="50%" valign="top"><input type="text" class="textbox" name="email2" id="email2" style="width: 100%" maxlength="50" value="{$email2}" /></td>

to:

<td width="50%" valign="top"><input type="hidden" value="[email protected]" class="textbox" name="email" id="email" style="width: 100%" maxlength="50" value="{$email}" /></td>
<td width="50%" valign="top"><input type="hidden" value="[email protected]" class="textbox" name="email2" id="email2" style="width: 100%" maxlength="50" value="{$email2}" /></td>

Might help you Undecided

thank you so much for this
What will happen with a password reset or subscription?
(2024-01-07, 11:31 AM)lost puppy Wrote: [ -> ]This may not fulfill all that you need but I just made some new members (via the register page on my test site) without putting in an email address.

to:

Might help you Undecided

That is actually clever.

(2024-01-07, 06:44 PM)nixer55 Wrote: [ -> ]What will happen with a password reset or subscription?

You could use something like the following to allow people using the contact form without sending mails to you, instead creating threads for them :
https://community.mybb.com/mods.php?acti...w&pid=1361

Ultimately password resets or subscriptions might need to be handled manually or discarded completely.