MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Updating Translation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello translators,
I need your help to update translation from older version to newer.
Some strings have changed or added in 1.2.9 version
How can I do that?
So the best way is from the beginning
tmhai Wrote:All you need to do is edit the language files... if new strings have been added, you will need to go through all the files to find the changed strings in the English language and then add them to the language of your choice.

... or you could re translate the language using the new English language files.

I am translating for 1.2.9 right now.

for a later version, say 2.0, there is NO way i am going to re-translate everything.

my option is then to 1) find the strings that have changed. 2) insert them into my old language-pack (by manually editing the php files). 3) translate the newly inserted strings, and then i have a updated language pack. Right?

as i imagine right now, it seems like a very cumbersome job..

linux-people are used to the diff-tool which in this case would work great to compare the files and returning the differences; the new/modified strings. (the old english lang-pack compared with the new english lang-pack). (i guess not everyone can manage to use it)

QUESTOIN: are there any better solution?

QUESTION 2: maybe the developers can keep track of the modifications made to the language-files, and release a history of these modifications to all the translators.

Languages are an important part, you guys have made an fantastic job with mybb, and i love the UI made specially for translating strings. But i do not hope you lose translators interest by requiring them to re-translate, or to search for needles in haystacks (finding the new/modified strings). Updating the language should be easy, by using a translated lang-pack for a earlier version.

again, did i get it right? or am i missing something.. thanks.. Big Grin
ah, great! i found that you are telling what files did change from version to version... http://community.mybboard.net/showthread.php?tid=20463

so one just have to check the files that given in that list, re-translate them, that should not be too hard if it is only about 3 files.. (or one maybe can chose the alternative to edit the old translated version together with the new english version, and the new strings will have empty corresponding fields in the language pack->change editor inside admin cp

however, check out diff if you have the ability

i was speculating in writing a little php-client-side script that compare the language packs, to output the changed and new strings, guess that is not needed..

love to all, for making such a great forum! now i happily continue the translation into Swedish. Big Grin
yo dyrer, i have been comparing version 1.2.7 with 1.2.9 (no changes where made in language from 1.2.8 to 1.2.9)

I hop it helps you:
http://snowfrost.net/complang/index.htm

the result on the page i linked to is generated by a script. people can download and use the script if they have access to php and a webserver..

i wrote it because i will probably use it for later updates.