MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Referral Box
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there anyway to make the referral box solid? MEaning that nobody can change it. Because so many people are being referred but are deleting their names from the box and people aren't getting recorded properly. This is a big deal because people earn commission on referrals and if they aren't being truly recorded then its worthless. So if the referral box on registration can be solidified or uneditable, please post a code to do that. Thank you.
Open member_register_referrer template

Find
<input type="text" class="textbox" name="referrername" value="{$referrername}"/>

Change by
<input type="text" class="textbox" name="referrername" value="{$referrername}" disabled/>

By this, they cant fill in a referrer name anymore ! Only when they have a simular link like http://www.mysite.com/member.php?action=...rname=Test , the referrer will be filled in and can't be changed.
^ It's actually probably better to delete the text field altogether. It's _very_ easy to enable a disabled textbox. Deleting the textbox won't stop someone smart from still "using" it however, but it'll make it harder at least.
ZiNga BuRgA Wrote:It's _very_ easy to enable a disabled textbox.

Please share this info ^^

And why delete it when there's a setting to disable the "referral system" , Its under User Registration & Profile Options "Use Referrals System"
no i want to keep the referral system.

my site is actually a get paid to site linked with the forum. so referrers earn commission on referrals. if i remove the referral box, will the referral system still work?

AND IS THERE anyway to make it sold ONLY if there is a referrer in there. if its blan kthe user has the option to type one in.
LeX- Wrote:
ZiNga BuRgA Wrote:It's _very_ easy to enable a disabled textbox.

Please share this info ^^
Enter something like the following in the address bar (you'll need to fiddle around and change some of the numbers to get it to work):
javascript:document.forms[1].elements[5].disabled=false;void(0);
Alternatively, if you're using Firefox, install the Firebug plugin, enable and open Firebug, click Inspect, select the disabled textbox and toggle the disabled property to false.

Even getting rid of the textbox won't stop people - all they have to do then, is use a proxy to modify the request header to send a referrer through there. Does take a little more effort thoough.

kjavia795 Wrote:my site is actually a get paid to site linked with the forum. so referrers earn commission on referrals. if i remove the referral box, will the referral system still work?

AND IS THERE anyway to make it sold ONLY if there is a referrer in there. if its blan kthe user has the option to type one in.
Removing the textbox won't get rid of the referral system, but from what you've just said, it doesn't appear to be exactly what you want.
There must be some other script which is putting the referrer in there.
Without knowing how that script works (since I haven't seen the script), I can't really do much. What you'll need to do is modify that script to show the textbox when a referrer is entered.