MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MentionMe is crashing browsers (auto-complete)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone experienced this as an issue? MentionMe works, however the auto-complete function crashes mobile browsers and, at best, causes desktop browsers to hang severely. I've tinkered with the settings (reduced suggestions, reduced cache) to no avail.

Any idea as to how this might be rectified? Or why this is happening in the first place?

Edit: My forum has about 80,000 members. Could this be contributing to the problem? I reduced the auto-complete cache to 2 days, 3 suggestions, and it still crashes.
I've figured out why it's crashing. It's related to the pulling of avatars for the auto-complete list. If anyone has a tip as to how this could potentially be fixed without disabling it, would be appreciated!
Is anyone else having serious performance problems with this plug-in more generally?

Having avatars enabled (in the auto-complete box) was definitely causing browsers to crash on the client-side. It seems to cause huge memory/resource leaks sporadically, it's a very useful plug-in though.

Does anyone know of a decent alternative? Something that includes suggestions/auto-completion and is integrated with alerts?
(2024-01-23, 03:10 AM)Digital Hedonia Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know of a decent alternative? Something that includes suggestions/auto-completion and is integrated with alerts?

Yep, on the main board I help admin, we use the combination of DVZ Mentions and Automention. The autocomplete of Automention has a few quirks, but I'm not aware of it causing the sort of major problems like crashing browsers that you're experiencing.
Thanks Laird!