MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: .tk domains boost island's wealth
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6991719.stm

The island of Tokelau sold it's .tk in 2001 to the company that allows domain registering for free (with ads), whilst giving the island a set amount for each domain registered.

Apparently the island's GDP (wealth per person) has risen by 10% since then, and has allowed every resident to own a computer / net access.

So now when you find a .tk website that's riddled with adverts, you can feel better knowing that some small insignificant island is gaining from it!
Smart Island Smile Interesting news, not much else to say Sad

BP
I have 2 .tk domains through this service. I abandoned them though, because of all of the ads.
Damn i can remember them just after they started out and had no ads before they sold the domain extension.

I used them a lot back then but have not used them or even really thought about them for a while good to see they are getting something from it after all these years.

Fishntassie...
Cool. Indeed a very smart thing to do Smile
.tk is the suckiest service ever. Srsly.
Yes i like what they they have done but i dont use them any more as i ever pay for a domain or use a different free service

BUT I LIKE WHAT THEY HAVE DONE
I used a couple of .tk domains too from the start. At first it was cool, but later the ads came and I got my own domain.
Thanks for the news Big Grin I have a much better regard for .tk domains now!
it's good to see these stories and how well we have it?
Pages: 1 2