MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Fatal Error replying to comments
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I've a forum running 1.8.6 that was on GoDaddy.  I moved it to iPage in its entirety and changed the config information for the DB which is all I worked out I needed to do.

The forum has worked OK on its new host for the last six months and I've just been informed that the reply button within each post stopped working after that migration although you can hit the new reply button at the top right and fill in the quick reply below and both work fine.  Which surprised me as the top right used newreply.php as well.

The link in the top right is http://forum.survivaluk.net/newreply.php?tid=9845 and that opens a page I can input into.
The link inside the message to reply is http://forum.survivaluk.net/newreply.php...yto=109784

The error message when you click the Reply within the message is a PHP error.

Quote:Fatal error: Uncaught Error: [] operator not supported for strings in /hermes/bosnacweb07/bosnacweb07aa/b493/ipg.bagcouk/sukforum/newreply.php:800 Stack trace: #0 {main} thrown in /hermes/bosnacweb07/bosnacweb07aa/b493/ipg.bagcouk/sukforum/newreply.php on line 800

I thought it was a corrupted file and so I replaced the newreply.php file with one from the MyBB download from version 1.8.6 and it didn't make any difference.

Any ideas on what this could be an how to fix it?
Check PHP version, I'm pretty sure you're now in PHP 8.x and need to upgrade MyBB to be compliant
(2024-02-12, 09:17 PM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]Check PHP version, I'm pretty sure you're now in PHP 8.x and need to upgrade MyBB to be compliant

Thanks for the quick reply.    That makes sense.  I can't check the GoDaddy version as that account expired last month but I can check iPage and it is at version 7.4.10.

I am intending to update MyBB when I get some time but really busy atm. 

My ISP allows me to change the PHP version so I'll try some to see if it fixes it.  If so great.  If not I'll bring forward the upgrade of MyBB.

Ok.  Version 7.4 is the latest version available to me on iPage.   I've just downgraded it to 7.0 and it now works fine but fails with a 500 error on 7.1 and 7.2 so it is now sitting at 7.0.

I'll check what version of PHP is needed for the latest version of MyBB as I don't want to install it and discover it won't work with 7.4.

Thank you for your help.  I would never have found that without your help and could very well have made a mess trying to fix it.
I can only advise you to look for another host, because this one doesn't seem to believe in updating the PHP versions at all

PHP7.4 has the last version (which is already out of date) 7.4.33 (from Nov 3rd, 2022)
7.4.10 came out on September 3rd, 2020! Since then, no updates have been made to this hoster! Thats's unbelievable!

The PHP7.0 version you are now using received its last update in 2018.

There are no longer any security updates for these PHP versions, i.e. their use is dangerous because discovered vulnerabilities are no longer closed.

The same also applies to MyBB; Since the version you are using, various security gaps have been closed.

I can't understand something like that, I'm sorry!

(2024-02-12, 10:32 PM)SUK Wrote: [ -> ]I'll check what version of PHP is needed for the latest version of MyBB as I don't want to install it and discover it won't work with 7.4.
where did you get this information?

see: https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/requirements/
I only use this ISP for email as it hosts all my email domains and I host my websites elsewhere. I moved two sites from GoDaddy six months ago whilst I sort out hosting for them as I had a problem with GoDaddy. One site is static and doesn't use PHP so that is not an issue but MyBB does so i'm going to have to fix that and it is on my todo list.

Thank you for the link on the latest version. Clearly I can't upgrade to the latest version on this host. Looks like I'll have to spend the time and money moving this sooner rather than later. So I've moved this up my priority list.

Appreciate the help and advice.