MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: LicenseBox For All Plugins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings,

I was wondering something. A lot of developers on here spend countless hours coding and then they upload there work/plugins to a site that allows the developer to earn money.

So the user pays for the plugin and uploads the file to their web server and activates it. That same user can then upload that file they purchased to the web and leak it to the world.

My question is this, how come the developers don't use a license system in their plugins? Make added extra security so people can't leak it that easily. In order to install the plugin, you have to enter a code that the developer gives you. Sort of like LicenseBox API allows.

Let me know what you guys think of license systems on plugins.
I think that is really hard to handle, reasons are multiple due mybb plugins has an structure to work, and on the end the user needs the files in their site to work. Even other systems where you can install it from admin control panel, on the end you can see it into your root hosting inside your files.

Some improvements can handle it by api instances, but on the end i think the best practices are to share the files due mybb is a free forum system, so you can set it for free or maybe sell it, on that instance you are on risk by piracy even on license terms.

On the end when user pay for a work i personally give it the rights to use and distribute due he has paid for it, and even when you do not allow it if the work is good enough always will be shared and in that way you may see that your plugins are good due it was used by many users around the world.

The reason why i release for free all the most used work is because i think when you make a new one project for customers on the end the same happens an actually there are many places where you put it for you can sell it, by the way all is complicated on the end as programmers, but sometimes we have to go that way.

Anyways i have not noticed but this is the wrong section to post your message, so i will report to move on to the right section.
Short answer : I don't care of license, I do free plugins under CC license and I'm quite proud if my code is leaked, it means its a quite good code.
I probably prefer if the link to the original code is provided and if I'm advertised that some bugs occure, but I'm also happy if my code lives its one life Smile