MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: IRC Game : Werewolves of Miller's Hollow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If this post is unwanted by moderation, don't hesitate to trash it

Hello everyone,

I've developed an IRC version of the very famous game Werewolves of Miller's Hollow and I'm looking for testers, or simple players for that matter, I'll see the bugs anyway Smile

If you don't know the game
Some of the inhabitants of Miller's Hollow are in fact werewolves hiding among the population. At night, they devour a villager. During the day, the villagers (including the wolves) try to track down a werewolf and burn the presumed culprit. The winning team is the one with at least one survivor.
This is a discussion-based role-playing game, in which you must try as far as possible to embody your character and arouse the suspicions of others.
It can be played by as few as 4 players and doesn't really have an upper limit, but games of 30 or more can get very long and boring.

If you don't know IRC
It's an (old) text chat system, very simple and very light, accessible from software (mIRC, xchat, pigdin, trillian, weechat, ...) or - depending on the network - via a web interface. You connect to a server and from there access channels (or lounges) where other people are, and you can chat with several people.

The game
All you have to do is go to the village home page, choose a nickname and validate. You'll be directed to the #millershollow channel (ircs://irc.zeolia.chat/millershollow for those with an IRC client).
Once there are enough of you to launch a game, one person simply types !game into the channel, and the robot/Game Master starts waiting for players. The starter is de facto declared a player, and the others have to type !play
At the end of the reasonable waiting time (on the test version, it's 4 minutes), the GM closes registrations and launches the game, determining the wolves and certain roles (I'll let you in on the surprise).

The wolves are invited to join their lair, where they will discuss their choice of victim during the night...
The game begins with a night... In the den, the wolves decide amongst themselves and each designate their future victim by !vote <victim>, replacing <victim> with the nickname of a villager.
As soon as all the wolves have voted, the GM announces the verdict(1) and we move on to the day phase.

During the day, the whole village (villagers and wolves) observe the murder and try to discover the culprit. Once again, after more or less lengthy discussions, all you have to do is !vote <victim> to decide who will be burned at the stake(1). And we're off for another night Smile

Bugs, questions...
If you encounter a bug, you can report it to me on the channel (I'm there under the nickname CrazyCat, amazing isn't it?) or here in reply to this message. Normally, there are no blocking bugs that would prevent you from completing the game.
For more info on the game, please visit https://zeolia.chat/jeux/thiercelieux.html (provisional page in french).

Warning: if you leave the #millershollow channel (due to a connection problem, page closure, ragequit, etc.) you will die.

Enjoy the game and thank you in advance for your feedback.

(1) If there is a tie, a second round of voting is held. If there's a tie again, there's no casualty - it's a dead ballot. And a vote cannot be changed.