MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is MyBB Dead?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I recently installed a MyBB from Softaculous because I wanted to get a board going again and while trying to look for themes I was disappointed with the options available to me. I actually ended up finding some XenForo themes I really liked, but I wondered why doesn't MyBB have that type of development behind it. I don't really want XF.

So, I decided to join the forums and look around and I found quite a few threads complaining about the lack of responsive themes, as well as many about how 1.9 has been promised for.. a very long time.

I like a lot of things about MyBB and I'd like to stick with it, but I'd also like to know before I invest the time and effort in it, is it.. okay?

Is it going to continue at least getting security and maintenance updates?

Thanks for your time.
(2024-04-19, 03:21 AM)cherrysodastar Wrote: [ -> ]Is it going to continue at least getting security and maintenance updates?

There is intention to keep supporting 1.8 for the foreseeable future.

So yes, it is going to at least be getting security maintenance updates.

Regards.
If by "is it dead" you mean if it is still receiving updates, no, it is not dead, it is still receiving updates. Please take a look at the GitHub Repo, it seems that it was recently committed -2 days ago.

https://github.com/mybb/mybb

If you are asking if there will be new versions, yes there will be. There is a new version about every 6 months.

Will there be responsive themes? That depends on the community. Classic
forums are not as popular as they used to be and there is not enough open-source sharing.
Still live and kicking and this support forum is also still active.

Security updates are still ongoing.

If you like it I can recommend try it out and see if its for you.