MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: User manual plugins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I'm just new to mybb and it would be very good if there were always operating instructions for the plugins??
Hello!

Are you looking for how to download plugins or how to work certain plugins?

If you mean the first, you can find that here.

If you mean the second, it depends on the plugin author. Most authors don't have a large guide on how to use their plugin, but will include a list of uses in their plugin's description.
It is not hard to deal with due always we use images to show what the plugin does.

You must download compressed file and follow instructions to install it, sometimes you only have to upload in same order the files that we provide, some others you must upload if it is just a file to your inc/plugins folder into your forum root, but if they have some folders you must follow and upload it in same order.
Hello and thank you very much for the quick response. I asked the question in the German forum and it was explained to me that the plugin file always belongs in the inc/plugin folder. But there are plugins where the plugin is also installed in the root folder. For example with the Plugin ezgalery MfG.
ezgallery has a root-file ezgallery.php

This is NOT the plugin-file, that belongs to inc/plugins
there is another file named ezgallery.php in inc/plugins

why can't you understand this?

what I wrote in german board:

Quote:The ezgallery.php belongs in the root, which will be called later to open the gallery
also http://thetravelgroup.de/ezgallery.php

But this is not the plugin file; This is in the inc/plugins directory and is called ezgallery.php again but is completely different.
There is also an ezgallery.lib.php which is in the inc directory
and much more...
The gallery directory also goes into the root of your forum

So maintaining the folder structure is the be-all and end-all
What is the purpose of this off-topic answer? It's about the PHP file ezgallery.php, yes that is known. Which is located in the root and under the same name in the inc/plugins directory. I don't think it's the user's responsibility to check the content. It just seems surprising that .php (plugin) files should belong in inc/plugin and, for the layman, can also be found in root. Of course, if you are pointed out and compare the files using notepad++, they are different files but despite everything they have the same name. However, the topic can be considered closed. Thank you for the support
where is my answer off-topic? You named ezgallery as an example!
Plugin structures depends on how complex would be the system, many times there are hooks to improve new elements inside a plugin, but some others it must require a core file to make some things like individual things and some ajax improvements when you do not want to overload mybb functions, however that ca be done by hooks into misc.php and xmlttp files.

However many times to keep a good structure we add a core file to do some things and some others like language files and script files to make own jobs and some of them require a more single system or most complex it would depend on what we wanna do with the code files on the end, but if you have multiple files it is suposed that you have to upload it into forum root, otherwise only one file must refer to plugin file, but many other times it is just spam due multiple plugin files are uploaded from many user to all users and some times it is dificult to verify all exntends sone and multiple projects, so when i found an issue i report it and so on,

But the right way to work sometimes is like that and other times it is explained inside a readme file and a following guidance on how to. And many times just we need to see previews about the mod and see how is working to verify that is working and put the right files in the right zone, it is the only thing that causes confuse in people, but once you gotta it it is a really easy way to deal with Smile

Chears and enjoy the system !
(2024-04-24, 03:33 PM)ReStro Wrote: [ -> ]What is the purpose of this off-topic answer? It's about the PHP file ezgallery.php, yes that is known. Which is located in the root and under the same name in the inc/plugins directory. I don't think it's the user's responsibility to check the content. It just seems surprising that .php (plugin) files should belong in inc/plugin and, for the layman, can also be found in root. Of course, if you are pointed out and compare the files using notepad++, they are different files but despite everything they have the same name. However, the topic can be considered closed. Thank you for the support

Your understanding could be reasonable if you lack a certain level of technical knowledge on the matter.

I think the best the software could do, for laymen, non-technical administrators, or beginners, is for the plugin system to be straightforward (automatic) and simple to use. Something similar to how WordPress works regarding the upload (download) and installation of plugins.

Ultimately, plugin "guides" or tutorials are always up to each developer.