MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Theme Quality Control....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm wondering here: Does anyone with the MyBB Group test and certify themes for the software? I realize it's all free, but, having used half a dozen themes for my various forums, I find that they never just work.

Yes, it may require a little work to embed our logos and copyright notices, and a couple of minor things and that's expected.

But I also find that some of the mods we've downloaded from this site (such as the Welcome message and even the ad banner plug-in) rarely work unless we tweak the PHP code of the theme's template (and I've had to call on the PHP mavens who work with us to assist, since that's not my language), and that's not always easy. Here's where quality control is crucial, because this shouldn't be necessary. A theme should be compatible and tested against a cross-section of popular plug-ins to make sure no such issues exist.

No, I'm not going to list the themes that presented the most problems. I think it's better to talk about this in general as something that should be considered as MyBB grows.

Oh yes, I've run across some mods that don't work either, and questionable descriptions where the author admits he or she has done very little testing.

Again, the issue is quality control here.
You can't make a plugin that will work on ALL themes. If i make a plugin i ensure it will do the right replace_templates on the Default MyBB Theme.
LeX- Wrote:You can't make a plugin that will work on ALL themes. If i make a plugin i ensure it will do the right replace_templates on the Default MyBB Theme.

I understand, but you should try a few themes at random, so that the techniques are nailed down. Otherwise, it just causes more work for everyone.
Quality control checks should be done by authors and i always do Quality control checks after major steps and upgrades. Try my themes as you may find out they are always updated

Also with the plugins authors should rely on themselves not users to test them as if they do not understand it fully about how to they might ruin or damage there forums

I do agree Quality control checks should be required by all MyBB Themers and moders

Gene Steinberg Wrote:
LeX- Wrote:You can't make a plugin that will work on ALL themes. If i make a plugin i ensure it will do the right replace_templates on the Default MyBB Theme.

I understand, but you should try a few themes at random, so that the techniques are nailed down. Otherwise, it just causes more work for everyone.

Won't work examples such as myportal which have ALOT of complex template changes
Jag100 Wrote:Quality control checks should be done by authors and i always do Quality control checks after major steps and upgrades. Try my themes as you may find out they are always updated

Also with the plugins authors should rely on themselves not users to test them as if they do not understand it fully about how to they might ruin or damage there forums

I do agree Quality control checks should be required by all MyBB Themers and moders

Gene Steinberg Wrote:

Won't work examples such as myportal which have ALOT of complex template changes

My biggest argument in favor of quality control checking is the fact that, when people look at MyBB, they aren't just comparing with other free forum software, but with vBulletin, IVB, etc., and it's important to make it as easy as possible for people to customize their setups.
If you are looking for themes that are basically just the default skin with the images and colors changed, and I notice template edits now a days, I'd check out mybbthemes.8ez.com. They don't do all that many template edits like I do and some other designers so I am pretty sure that the mods would work with most of their themes. Some of the really complex designs like the old MyInvision Light Blue for example, there will be a few mods that just wont work, there are too many hook locations changed and all that good stuff.

I can't imagine MyBB staff forcing designers to make sure that their themes are html valid and their templates are in decent condition or we would probably have a very small selection of themes right now compared to one of the largest theme selection for a software and growing...

I always edit at bare minimum two templates (the header and footer), but I normally edit at least 6 or more templates.
Audentio Wrote:If you are looking for themes that are basically just the default skin with the images and colors changed, and I notice template edits now a days, I'd check out mybbthemes.8ez.com. They don't do all that many template edits like I do and some other designers so I am pretty sure that the mods would work with most of their themes. Some of the really complex designs like the old MyInvision Light Blue for example, there will be a few mods that just wont work, there are too many hook locations changed and all that good stuff.

I can't imagine MyBB staff forcing designers to make sure that their themes are html valid and their templates are in decent condition or we would probably have a very small selection of themes right now compared to one of the largest theme selection for a software and growing...

I always edit at bare minimum two templates (the header and footer), but I normally edit at least 6 or more templates.

With a volunteer crew, it's hard. However, I do think there ought to be some sort of certification program, some basic way of testing themes and mods to meet a basic standard of compatibility. That should not hurt one's creativity, just assure people that they have something that should work on most occasions.
I think the way things are now is fine. Not all skins and mods will be compatible, and when they're not, you just need to make minor adjustments.

I don't think skin designers should be going out of their way to make things fully compatible or else we won't have any great looking skins. If a mod doesn't work on a skin, ask for help and someone will help you out.

I mean.....you have to do a little bit of work yourself don't you think? They spend loads of time developing the skins/mods and you can't take a few minutes to add/modify something here or there to make it work together?
Animal24 Wrote:I think the way things are now is fine. Not all skins and mods will be compatible, and when they're not, you just need to make minor adjustments.

I don't think skin designers should be going out of their way to make things fully compatible or else we won't have any great looking skins. If a mod doesn't work on a skin, ask for help and someone will help you out.

I mean.....you have to do a little bit of work yourself don't you think? They spend loads of time developing the skins/mods and you can't take a few minutes to add/modify something here or there to make it work together?

Not everyone has the time. Some of us have a job providing the goods and services that our sites are all about Smile
I have no problem with the idea as a general idea, but we would have to think of a way to do this to begin with, and permission from the team as well probably...I don't know...
Pages: 1 2