MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Suggestion =)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When censoring could it be possible to censor the combination of censored letters where-ever they are placed in a word?
Eg: If the word "Dog" was censored, you wouldn't have to censore every form of "dog" (doggy etc, etc) because the letters D-O-G should be censored when they are placed in that order in any word Smile
I don't like this - it could easily block "good" words, too. As an example, the recipe thread on a board I frequent was messed up because it didn't like "teaspoon". Likewise dog owners couldn't talk about their cocker spaniels.
wildcards SHOULD be an option...It's frustrating entering every combination of the F word.
ok, but could we make it on a per word basis?

In reality, my members are so clean nothing has been filtered yet Big Grin
Most wildcard allow using a character such as * to enable.

i.e. "word" vs "word*"

The second example will filter anything such as wordlikethis while the first would leave it alone. Wildcarding is common for forum filters. Mybb is the only one I know of that doesn't use it.
I have to agree. Wild carding is a very good idea.
Unfortunately, there'll always be ways around word censors.

Eg, if the word "badword" was censored, a user could type "bad-word" or something similar. Heck, even "bad[b][/b]word" would work... (try it Toungue)

Though one thing is that the current word filter doesn't pick up consecutive words, eg, if "badword" -> "***", then "badword badword" -> "*** badword".

Having said that, I would probably prefer using str_replace over a word preg_replace - it's a LOT faster and doesn't have the above bug.
Most "inappropriate" words don't "fit into" good words anyway...
ZiNga BuRgA Wrote:Though one thing is that the current word filter doesn't pick up consecutive words, eg, if "badword" -> "***", then "badword badword" -> "*** badword".
Hmmm, that is a weird bug.