MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Getting started?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

I was thinking about possibly installing MYBB on my website. I have some questions, that would help me with my decision:

1) Are there any templates appropriate for a portal site? If so, what is a good way to find them?

2) Spam control is very important since my site tends to be visited by robots quite often. Right now the combination of Bad Behavior (a bot detection and rejection system that is designed for CMSs like Wordpress), and Akismet are doing a very good job of mitigating spam problems. I noticed that there is an Akismet plug-in available. Is this plugin stable and working well? Is a Bad Behavior, or equivalent, plugin available?

3) Are there developers on this forum able to assist me with selection and installations of the base product and plugins? If so, how is the best way to contact them?

4) Is an "Ideas"-like plugin available? I didn't see any on the list of plugins.

Thanks much for your help.

Rich
Yes you can use the same skin for the portal as your fourm

yes the Akismet is good and works with mybb

you can find a big list of pugins for mybb Here

i think that all you ask if not let me know i try and fill that in as well
richrf Wrote:3) Are there developers on this forum able to assist me with selection and installations of the base product and plugins? If so, how is the best way to contact them?

You already were contacting them by posting this thread. Wink
destroyer Wrote:
richrf Wrote:3) Are there developers on this forum able to assist me with selection and installations of the base product and plugins? If so, how is the best way to contact them?

You already were contacting them by posting this thread. Wink

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am thinking about revamping my site. If there are developers who are interested in assisting me with an installation and customizing a portal page, please PM me with details concerning your project fees as well as examples of your work.

Thanks again for your help,
Rich
For bad behavior, check out the FWS (Forum Warning System).
laie_techie Wrote:For bad behavior, check out the FWS (Forum Warning System).

Bad Behavior is actually something that block spambots from accessing your site. The FWS is completely unrelated to that.
With "bad behavior" do you mean placing a dummy link with a rel of "nofollow" and trapping the bots that follow that link?
richrf Wrote:2) Spam control is very important since my site tends to be visited by robots quite often. Right now the combination of Bad Behavior (a bot detection and rejection system that is designed for CMSs like Wordpress), and Akismet are doing a very good job of mitigating spam problems. I noticed that there is an Akismet plug-in available. Is this plugin stable and working well? Is a Bad Behavior, or equivalent, plugin available?
The Akismet plugin you would have seen available is developed and maintained by one of the MyBB developers; couldn't ask for better quality. Wink
Even members will be able to aid you in finding which plugin best suits your needs. Instructions are given with each plugin/modification so you should be able to install them without a hassle. If you have problems installing there is a category on these forums that will help you through the process.
As stated by destroyer above, the developers frequently check the forums and give support.
richrf Wrote:4) Is an "Ideas"-like plugin available? I didn't see any on the list of plugins.
The Ideas software is developed by Chris Boulton (MyBB lead developer) and currently is not available to the public.
laie_techie Wrote:With "bad behavior" do you mean placing a dummy link with a rel of "nofollow" and trapping the bots that follow that link?

http://www.homelandstupidity.us/software/bad-behavior/