MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: The Moderator From Hell
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Our MyBB board was moved from vBulletin a couple of months back. Yay! The Jelsoft people are horrible and they deserve to lose business.

In any case, we had a moderator in those days who is still listed in our Forum Team. Since he is not active anymore, we moved him to the Registered Members group (settings double checked).

He's still showing up as a Moderator. Yes, I rebuilt cache and counters and optimized the database. No difference.

Worse, when we added another Moderator, he didn't appear in that listing. Our Administrators do show up, however. And when we added a Super Moderator as a test, it appeared as well -- though strangely above Administrators, which is not what I'd want.

Can someone suggest what might be wrong here?

We are using the latest MyBB, and our forum otherwise runs perfectly (see link in my signature).

Suggestions?
Gene Steinberg Wrote:Worse, when we added another Moderator, he didn't appear in that listing. Our Administrators do show up, however. And when we added a Super Moderator as a test, it appeared as well -- though strangely above Administrators, which is not what I'd want.

Is "Show on 'Forum Team' Page?" set to Yes of the Moderator Group ?

Gene Steinberg Wrote:In any case, we had a moderator in those days who is still listed in our Forum Team. Since he is not active anymore, we moved him to the Registered Members group (settings double checked).

He's still showing up as a Moderator. Yes, I rebuilt cache and counters and optimized the database. No difference.

You've changed the "Primary Usergroup" or "Secondary Usergroups" of that member ?
LeX- Wrote:
Gene Steinberg Wrote:Worse, when we added another Moderator, he didn't appear in that listing. Our Administrators do show up, however. And when we added a Super Moderator as a test, it appeared as well -- though strangely above Administrators, which is not what I'd want.

Is "Show on 'Forum Team' Page?" set to Yes of the Moderator Group ?

Gene Steinberg Wrote:In any case, we had a moderator in those days who is still listed in our Forum Team. Since he is not active anymore, we moved him to the Registered Members group (settings double checked).

You've changed the "Primary Usergroup" or "Secondary Usergroups" of that member ?

I made sure these groups are strictly Primary, with no Secondary setting. As a test, I tried that too, with no change.
Was that member assigned to any forum as moderator ? If so, did you removed him from that list too ?
LeX- Wrote:Was that member assigned to any forum as moderator ? If so, did you removed him from that list too ?

I figured this out. It was not particularly intuitive, however.

You should be able to do this with one setting, when you configure a group, rather than have to do it separately from within the Forums interface. Maybe for 1.4?
Moderators will only show up on the forum team page if they are actively moderating a forum.
destroyer Wrote:Moderators will only show up on the forum team page if they are actively moderating a forum.

And what is the purpose of a Moderator if not to moderate a forum? So that should be part of the setting in which you give a member that status, since it is otherwise akin to a person without a country.
You can edit their group settings & you can easily add them to moderate a forum if needed. You could also change their display group if you don't want anyone to see that they are moderators.
I agree with Gene, if you set someone as a moderator, they should automatically be added to the Forum Team regardless if they are moderating a forum or not.
destroyer Wrote:You can edit their group settings & you can easily add them to moderate a forum if needed. You could also change their display group if you don't want anyone to see that they are moderators.

You're not hearing me. This requires settings in two separate places, one to confer the status of Moderator, Super Moderator, etc., and the other to specify which forums they will preside over. Those settings are interrelated, which means they ought to be established within the same settings panel. Do you see what I'm getting at here? Adding extra complexity is, alas, the Windows way, and I hoped the world was beginning to move past that.
Pages: 1 2