MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Brand New User
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm just delving into the world of forum boards, and feel very stupid asking this, but I want to set up a MyBB board for my production company and don't know how to begin. In the very beginning of the instructions I am told to upload the MyBB files to my server. I don't think I have a server. Would the domain we own work? Or how would I go about finding a server to use?

Thanks
~Deb
Hi Deb, welcome to the wonderful world of MyBB. As you have a domain, I assume you have a web hosting account, which is a server. You just upload all the files to your host via FTP.

You must then set up a MySQL database, and then call install/install.php with your browser,

BP
Thank you so much! I'm not used to the lingo yet, so everything has been very confusing to me.

~Deb
Here are complete instructions: [Wiki: Installing] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead)
We have the most powerful, easiest and effective forum installation..

Right na.. Smile
Bkwormdeb Wrote:I'm just delving into the world of forum boards, and feel very stupid asking this, but I want to set up a MyBB board for my production company and don't know how to begin. In the very beginning of the instructions I am told to upload the MyBB files to my server. I don't think I have a server. Would the domain we own work? Or how would I go about finding a server to use?

Thanks
~Deb

Hi and welcome to MyBB

You don't need an entire server to use, but what we mean is that you need some webspace to use. If you already own a website, chances are you can use that space for your forum, if the [Wiki: Requirements] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead) are met.

Otherwise you can find hosting companies such as www.dreamhost.com, or something like that.