MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Phpmyadmin install
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have installed phpmyadmin and copied it to my server. I have followed these instructions: (I think)

1. Untar or unzip the distribution (be sure to unzip the subdirectories): tar -xzvf phpMyAdmin_x.x.x.tar.gz in your webserver's document root. If you don't have direct access to your document root, put the files in a directory on your local machine, and, after step 3, transfer the directory on your web server using, for example, ftp.
2. Ensure that all the scripts have the appropriate owner (if PHP is running in safe mode, having some scripts with an owner different from the owner of other scripts will be a problem). See FAQ 4.2 for suggestions.
3. Open the file config.inc.php in your favorite editor and change the values for host, user, password and authentication mode to fit your environment. Here, "host" means the MySQL server. Also insert the correct value for $cfg['PmaAbsoluteUri']. Have a look at Configuration section for an explanation of all values. Please also read the remaining of this Installation section for information about authentication modes and the linked-tables infrastructure.
4. It is recommended that you protect the directory in which you installed phpMyAdmin (unless it's on a closed intranet, or you wish to use HTTP or cookie authentication), for example with HTTP-AUTH (in a .htaccess file). See the multi-user sub-section of the FAQ for additional information, especially FAQ 4.4.
5. Open the file <www.your-host.com>/<your-install-dir>/index.php in your browser. phpMyAdmin should now display a welcome screen and your databases, or a login dialog if using HTTP or cookie authentication mode.

All I get is a white screen when I try to open the index file. Can anyone help? Is there an easier way to install phpmyadmin? I would really like to backup my forum.

thanks
You don't need to use phpmyadmin to backup your DB although it makes it slightly easier to get the information but not restore it.

Anyway. You can just unzip the files to your host computer, then FTP them to your site (I'd choose a more secure folder name than just phpmyadmin/).
You then need to edit config.default.php. That should be it. You will probably need to change line 39 "$cfg['PmaAbsoluteUri'] = '';" and then the information at line 69 onwards for your server/db information.
What do I change line 39 to?
The link of your site, including link to phpmyadmin I think

so http://www.domain.com/phpmyadmin_xyz (remember to change phpmyadmin folder name to something hard to guess if you aren't using htaccess to protect it). It says in the manual it should be ok without it, but I've always needed it.
I'm still doing something wrong.

How do I back up my DB without this program? That's the only reason I want it.
If you have access to telnet or SSH then you can login to that, and it's basically a unix prompt. You can type commands into it like DOS. Some hosts don't provide this though.
You should get PhpMyAdmin with your host.... it's pretty standard.
decswxaqz Wrote:You should get PhpMyAdmin with your host.... it's pretty standard.

If you use cPanel or DirectAdmin or Plesk control panels, phpMyAdmin should come standard -- just look in your control panel under MySQL. I'm not sure about other hosting systems.

On the other hand, in your config file, try making the authentication method "cookie" and see if any login screen shows up.